#1 tip for new and experienced breeders

For the past season I’ve been keeping fresh hatchlings in deli cups with a paper towel until they’ve completed their first sheds, this has helped significantly with stuck sheds! I don’t have issues with older hatchling getting stuck sheds and I haven’t changed a thing with them, but I was having some trouble with fresh hatchlings’ first sheds until I tried this. It is so important for the first shed to go well, so this was a game changer for me! Have you had a similar experience?

7 Likes

I’ve had a couple problems with a stuck first shed, so I’m going to be trying this. What size deli cups do you use? How much water do you add to the paper towel, a lot where if you wring it out it will still drip water or a little bit so it’s just barely damp.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what size the deli cups are, but they aren’t big. As for the water that I add to the papper towel, I only add a few drops

3 Likes

Actually I take that back, I think these are it

3 Likes

Thank you, I’m definitely going to do this from now on.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried this but it’s something I will keep in mind for the future. My babies haven’t had issue so far, but it is my first season so time will tell.

3 Likes

I do something similar with my corn snakes. I put new babies in 10-oz deli cups with dampened sphagnum moss until after their first shed. I’ve been doing this for years, and it virtually ensures a problem-free first shed.

4 Likes