Blood Python Colour Predictions

I was wondering if there’s any way to tell which, or if, a younger Blood python will grow up to be very high red? I’m a very big fan of high-red bloods, yet almost all of the hatchlings I see (even from high-red pairs) seem to be brown, beige, or washed out in redness.

2 Likes

Hatchling blood pythons pretty much all start out brown. The best way to predict adult color is to look at the parents, or get an animal from a blood line that is known to produce very red animals.

3 Likes

I bred a lot of short tails years ago. The best way to tell coloration would be to look at the parents. Most hatchlings are very drab. Buying from a breeder with quality lines that are know to have very red snakes is the way to go. You can usually tell by the prices lol. But with bloods you usually get what you pay for. Bangka locality is know for its reds.

1 Like

As mentioned above, look at the parents.

5 Likes

Wow that really is red…how heavy? I have heard that Bloods get pretty hefty

I haven’t weighed him in a very long time but if I had to guess, he’s probably around 20#. He is small compared to some of my females.

1 Like

@lumpy here is a picture of an adult female black it’s from 2001. But can give you an idea of adult size.

2 Likes

Wow I am in shock! People don’t usually hint that they get that big. But I love BI so how big is big to me anymore…

1 Like

@lumpy. Yes they can be quite the handful! That is actually the first snake to lay eggs for me! So they will always be my favorite! Captive bred babies are usually quite docile if there husbandry is met. Back then I was wrestling around with biting musking wild caught beasts! But I wouldn’t trade it for a thing taught me a lot about judging snakes moods!

3 Likes

Love that passion

1 Like