Help/tips for these poor danger noodles

I am inheriting 2 abandoned beautiful danger noodles. I am told the larger is a lavender albino female, and the smaller being an albino male. Any advice/helpful hints/words of encouragement are welcome. I dont have anymore info on them at this time, planning to have them moved later this week, due to a bad snowstorm currently underway.

Female

Male

1 Like

Do you have any experience with reticulated pythons?
@mnroyals and @eaglereptiles could have some ideas or input

2 Likes

I am not very familiar with them, unfortunately. Both my boyfriend and I have had snakes in the past, though that was many moons ago for myself. I just know they are in a friends rental that was abandoned and where we are there is not a good/reputable reptile community.

I’m just about to sit down to dinner, I’ll ask some questions and give you some advice when I’m done :+1:

1 Like

So the first does look to be a Lavender.
The second I don’t believe is albino. It has black eyes unless that’s just a funny angle. From the pic and it’s hard to tell because of the retained shed on his body, I think that’s an Ultra Ivory Tiger.

Now for some questions, because those are big snakes that will continue to grow, and considering where they are coming from( a home of neglect) they might not be to friendly.

Have you ever kept retics before?
Are you aware they will eventually eat large pigs?
Do you know the correct husbandry practices to allow them to thrive?
Have you ever held those 2 particular snakes?
Can you afford to feed them?
Are you familiar with how to handle a large snake especially one of that size?
What snakes have you owned in the past?

4 Likes

How big are these guy? A retic is a huge commitment and there definitely not ball pythons. That being said retics can be awesome captives. Do you know how long they have been abandoned? The one needs to soak first thing to get rid of the stuck shed. As @mnroyals mentions these guys get huge. I think the main thing you need to do is be honest with yourself. If you don’t think you are fully able to properly care for them. Then please don’t take them in. I think it’s awesome you want to help and if you feel like you can then go for it.

3 Likes

I have not yet been over to see them, let alone handle them yet - I’m currently snowed in. I have not personally kept retics, though had a Burmese and cousin whom had retics, so I’m well aware of their needs. I have not, however been on the ‘rescue’ side of things.

2 Likes

Your guess is as good as mine as far as size goes. The person that owns the house isn’t comfortable with handling them, which is understandable. Like I mentioned, I do have experience with them, though haven’t personally owned a retic myself. As far as we know they have been there for about 3ish weeks. Feeding them (affording to, etc) isn’t an issue, nor is cost of care, set up, etc. My biggest concerns are care and needs walking into the situation. If when we go and actually see them and determine it is simply too much for us, I do know someone in the state, but it is unfortunately a good 200+ miles away. I am willing to make that trip for these danger noodles if need be, but I am also not opposed to keeping them myself.

4 Likes

So my knowledge on Retic morphs is limited to what I have learnt from Zoe Best of CBM.

I would agree with @mnroyals on both IDs, though the second one I’m less sure of. I’m not saying his guess is wrong, I’m just not experienced enough to say it’s right :blush:. The lack of pattern tells us that there is more than just albino going on, if albino at all. When his shedding is sorted out it will be easier to determine.

Without echoing others warnings, I will just recommend putting a lot of though into whether you really want these guys or if it would make more sense to purchase hatchlings and work with them from their young age. These guys are huge, have shed that needs tending to and having never met them, you have no idea of how to read their personal body language…

If your set on them then don’t think we are trying to convince you not to get them, we are just making sure you will be safe along the way and know what to expect. :blush: good luck either way.

4 Likes

So when you go to meet them you’ll want to do an overall check of their condition.
Make sure their eyes respond to movement and you get steady tongue flicks.
Check under their chin and between their heat pits for mites, and try to listen for any wheezing, snot or liquid coming from the mouth. That could be a warning sign for R.I.
Hard part is with Retics that size, you’ll be able to hear and feel them breath, and held up to your face( I don’t recommend that for a snake you aren’t familiar with) you’ll feel a gentle wind like sensation from them pushing air out. Try to not mistake that as a wheeze and you should be able to tell the difference.
Check their overall body condition, tho from the pics both are definitely not underweight.
If you take them home, soak the male in some water for at least an hour, to help remove all the stuck shed. Check his eyes and tail afterwards to make sure there is no shed retained.
Personally I would set up a vet appointment with your local exotics vet if you plan to take them home. That should give you an idea of their overall health and any unseen signs for illness. It must be someone experienced with giant snakes, otherwise good luck getting a vet to be comfortable around such large snakes.
Definitely check their overall disposition. Last thing you want is a defensive snake of that size. Approach them with confidence and you’ll keep them calm. Retics are smart enough to pick up oh when someone is nervous and that in turn will make them nervous. If you’re not confident to actually go in the cage and take them out, don’t adopt them. They are intimidating species to say the least, but very rewarding and need to be respected because of their size.
I’m not trying to discourage you at all, it’s honorable you’re trying to help. Just be careful because they are fast and unless you know how to read their body language, you could be in a dangerous situation before you ever see it coming.

7 Likes