Help! Light explosion

I was misting my monitor enclosure on the one side today and my heat light bulb exploded! It is on top of the screen, not in the cage, but of course small shards still got in. I removed the monitor, cleaned everything out…that part is good luckily no one got hurt, it just scared both of us…but did I do something stupid? Go ahead and be blunt, I’m not offended easily. Was I supposed to remove the light fixture from the top of the enclosure before misting? I have misted a lot and this never happened, and I never want it to happen again!
Anyone experience this before? Give me sound advise asap please. Thanks!

2 Likes

I honestly never like mixing water with any lighting or electrical. If I gotta mist I always unplug lights and such. I also never mist (or use my humidifier that’s in my BP tank) anywhere near the electrical things regardless off and on. But that’s a personal thing, I don’t know if what you did personally caused the light to explode, just better to err on the side of caution.

That being said I’m glad your monitor was safe as well as yourself!

3 Likes

You likely got cold water on a hot glass bulb. Sudden temperature change would cause it to shatter. Like if you put a hot glass jar in cold water, it will shatter. Or there could have been an electrical surge if you don’t have a surge protector, or if the surge protector is bad.

4 Likes

it was room temp water but obviously too cold then for the light. I didnt know misting would get on the light so much as the light is above the enclosure and i was misting inside on the opposite side…will never do that again!
thank you
surge protector is good and new.

5 Likes

When I mist my day gecko’s enclosure, it’s always right after the light comes on so the bulb isn’t crazy hot just incase some water does get on it. But yeah it was most likely due to colder water suddenly getting on a hot bulb

4 Likes

Yeah guys I just panicked. It is logical just like I never use cold water on my corningware or pyrex hot of of the oven
Thanks everyone

5 Likes

I understand the panic feeling, my day gecko bit down on a hornworm too hard once and it shot caterpillar guts n goo everywhere, some got on the bulb and made an awfully loud sizzling noise. Luckily it didn’t break the bulb tho

5 Likes

I’ve done this as well when I was misting my iguanas. Water bounced off the iguanas body and splashed on the bulb instantly shattering it. I did the same thing whit clearing out all the furniture and substrate and replacing with new. I was only using 1/2 inch wire so most of the galas went into the enclosure but luckily the iguanas were un scratched.

3 Likes

i know my screen has tiny holes, but the micro shards got through because it like exploded, scared the hell out of us.Lesson learned!

3 Likes