Retics and shedding

One of my Retics doesnt shed properly. Is that a common thing with retics?

1 Like

Sometimes the size can affect the cleanness of the shed, but it is probably a humidity issue. What is your humidity? You may want to spray or mist during shed cycles.

1 Like

If they aren’t shedding properly, then that is a sign that the humidity needs to be higher.

1 Like

How old is your Retic? Adult Retics will not shed in one piece, it’s very rare for them to do so.
If your Retic is younger, you probably have a problem with the humidity. Next time they are in shed try misting the enclosure and increasing the humidity to around 80% and see if that helps.

4 Likes

This retic is only 11/2 old. I started misting more and I put wet spagnum moss in her hide box and it seems to be working. Humidity is around 65% now. Thanks for the good advice.

2 Likes

You can even raise the humidity to 90-100% while they are in shed. It won’t hurt them at all.
In the wild where Retics are from, during the night the humidity levels consistently reach between 90-100%. During the day it’s around 60-70% so they can take high humidity levels very well. I don’t even worry about the humidity for my Retics unless they are in shed, then I raise it considerably.

4 Likes

In my opinion hydration is an issue a lot more often than people think. When I change water cups, snakes that have not been out of water still often come to fresh water and drink. I only have a couple but I soak my retics monthly and I don’t have shed issues. Where I live the humidity is sub 20% half the year. My retics and boas will stay in the tub as long as you let them. I usually soak them a couple hours each time.

3 Likes

I’d agree that is very important for retics. Being a species, mainland, super dwarf or dwarf, they all live closely to water and have been seen in water just as much as on land. So soaking your tic is a vital husbandry practice to consider and do if you own retics.

3 Likes

I just think it has as much to do with internal hydration as it does external humidity. I generally have 15-20 different species of snakes and I’ve noticed over the years that snakes that shed bad have typically displaced it’s contents or spilled their water dish. When you soak pythons and boids they drink their fill every time. It’s probably as much that as the actual act of soaking imo.

2 Likes

I would agree with that assessment. And I kind of find it more along the lines of common sense to soak your reptiles.
Take tortoises for example. Very common knowledge that they require soaking to reach the levels of hydration to be healthy. I think the same is true in python and boids, and found that to be true from my experiences as well.

2 Likes