Huge second hognose clutch!

Recently received the biggest second clutch I’ve ever seen from a Western Hognose. 24 good + 1 infertile.

9 Likes

Amazing!!! What size would that female have been? :wink::v:

This one’s normal weight is around 280 grams. Just before laying I’m guessing over 400 grams.

1 Like

I’m confused. She double clutched in one season? How many did she lay in her first clutch? Was she paired a second time or just retain? Like I said I’m confused and that’s amazing…. it’s not amazing that I’m confused but how I’m interpreting what you are saying.

@redridgereptiles coold clutch

@dfc112 western hognose will often double clutch some breeders will re-introduce a male however they will double clutch also without a male being re-introduced.

Is that typical with most or all colubrids?

@dfc112 Many colubrids will double clutch. My hogs, corns, and kings do it more often than not. Many of my corns will do so without even re-introducing a male. I even had a small triple clutch from a hog for the first time this year (wasn’t trying for it / retained sperm).

Often a double clutch is smaller than the first and/or contains more slugs/infertiles, so I shared this one since it bucked that trend.

Some colubrids even have a cycle more like a gecko where a small clutch is laid many times a year, even without reintroduction. House Snakes and Tri-Color Hognose are some examples of this.

3 Likes

@redridgereptiles
@stewart_reptiles

Is this something that can be triggered, such as an environmental/climate change, or is it random and by chance?

When it comes to breeding while you can increase your chances it always up to them.

If you start introducing a male again after the first clutch is laid you will be more likely have an animal that will double clutch but it’s not always the case either.

And sometime you feel like not introducing a male because the female has lost a lot of weight and you want her to gain back some of that weight and she will lay anyway.

They know best and it’s on their schedule.

2 Likes

@dfc112

I’ll definitely echo what @stewart_reptiles said - only attempt with a female that looks in really good shape after laying a first clutch. With hognose specifically some individuals seem to put a lot of themselves into clutches while other individuals seem to not lose much of their starting weight at all. It’s pretty wild.

It feels like the double clutch is a cycle off the first clutch and if you miss the window they are likely done for the year. My corns usually go through a post lay shed before this window for breeding. It seems much quicker for hognose. Basically if she is healthy looking I give her a really small meal the day after laying, and if she enthusiastically eats it then I introduce a male the next day for a few days, another meal, and then another few days with the male. That seems like the slim window they have to get it done. If she refuses these meals I mark her down as done breeding for the year.

Also, if you have a hog you decided not to try for a double clutch but the female has a voracious appetite in the next few weeks you may want to be on the lookout for a double clutch from retained sperm.

5 Likes