Questions about reproduction

How exactly to pair pythons? I have a female Spider Pastel and there are males Normal, Butter, Banana Spider. With which it is better to pair it. And how exactly to do it?

1 Like

So you will want to avoid the Spider Pastel X Spider Banana pairing… Morph Issues

Also avoid using the normal, this will leave you with a bunch of normals and single gene animals that could be difficult to sell and actually end up costing you money in feeding.

This leaves you with your Butter male… Still going to end up with a few normals, a few single genes and a few spider combos, all again could be difficult to sell… And Butter Pastel and Butter Pastel Spider which would be nice.

Personally I would either invest in another female or two or a 3+ gene visual recessive male to guarantee that everything is a het, which would make selling them a little easier.

As for actually breeding… I’m sure a few people will drop you some tips below, but until then using the #breeding tag you will find lots of threads discussing the different aspects involved.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I agree with eaglereptiles. I would buy another female with more genes in it.
Maybe something Calico Enchi, Pastel Mojave, Banana Enchi, some other 2 gene combo… I wouldn’t buy another Spider. You already have 2 with it in them. Spider to Spider is lethal combo. Will not live.
I suggest to go to the morph calculator and just play around with morphs and see the outcome of those you put in. It is really fun to play around with and get really good information about what morphs you would want to breed together.

4 Likes

I agree with the @eaglereptiles and @wmb1965 as well. Breeding animals isn’t just about throwing any two animals you have together. You need to plan ahead on what you are going to do when no one wants any of your snakes, or what you will do if you have to cull a deformed baby, or how you will incubate the eggs properly. Get yourself some higher quality stock for breeding and keep the single/double gene combos as pets. Recessive genes always sell well, so I would recommend something like pied, axanthic, or clown combos. While you are raising up those animals, do more research into how one introduces snakes for breeding. As the others have stated already, never breed spider to spider.

3 Likes

Yes, I think ashleyraeanne is right about the recessive genes added in would really help with all of your breeding projects. You can find a list of recessive genes online or you can go to YouTube and get a lot of great information on breeding, genetics and more. I have been doing a lot of research and I only have one pied male.
I still have a long way to go before I even start breeding. Research, research , and more research is the most important thing. Know what your doing before you start. You will be grateful that you did.

2 Likes

I was told that you need to put two males to the female for 3-4 days, then take one and leave the other with her and then they mate. it is so?

Absolutely do not put 2 males in with a female, ever.

4 Likes

And do not attempt breeding til you do some more research planning is important! If you want to breed the ones you have certainly that’s fine, anyone telling you you “have to” buy others that’s their opinion you do not have to follow it.

But you need to do a lot of preparation before you start. Sounds like you’re at the very beginning.

Take some time and research as much as you can. YouTube, threads on here, even articles you can Google are a great start.

2 Likes

can you throw some articles here or YouTube videos? I have a problem that I do not know English (

1 Like

I breed plenty of two gene combos and I think most breeders do to. I also breed single gene snakes as well. If I want to get into a certain gene but don’t want to spend a fortune I would purchase a single gene animal. You then breed that to a 3 or 4 gene animal and replace the single gene with a holdback. I agree a single gene pastel or pinstripe might not be the best for breeding stock. But a single or two gene cypress for example would be a good snake to have as a breeder. If I wanted to get into the acid gene I would absolutely buy and breed a single gene male.

3 Likes

No, the males would more than likely fight and could hurt your female also.
You don’t have to buy any other morphs. It was just a suggestion. Did not mean to imply that you had to.
Sorry. But you only have 1 female. The only 2 you can breed with Her are the Normal and Butter. Don’t breed the other spider with her.

Here is a website with a lot of information

1 Like

You see…when a man…and a woman…love each other…

5 Likes

so I understood thank you all. I have another female, but she is with my father, next week I will take her and take a picture, tell me the morph because I don’t know, I only know that she is the sister of normal and butter.

1 Like

It depends on the genes involved. The ones they have honestly aren’t worth breeding. Maybe the female would be if they had a better male, but gene combos that are inexpensive/unimpressive are not easy to sell when no one knows your name. The normal definitely isn’t worth breeding unless you are trying to prove genes out.

2 Likes

Totally agree

2 Likes

If it’s worth it to them, then they’re worth breeding.

It’s not all supposed to be about the money remember :thinking:

3 Likes

But if the demand isn’t high enough to sell the hatchlings in a reasonable amount of time then they’re going to get stuck with them.

3 Likes

Not every animal should be bred, just because you love it doesn’t mean that those genes necessarily should be passed on. There are poor quality examples of certain morphs, little to no demand for low end, single gene males/normals outside of wholesale, animals with defects, etc that make wonderful pets, but would be better off not being bred at all. Even when it’s “not about the money”, you’re still creating more living creatures that need to find homes

8 Likes

And why is that any concern of anyone on this forum?

I’m honestly a little disappointed in people yes I think this person obviously needs to research but for Pete’s sake are they not free to enjoy the hobby like everyone else?

How many of the big names started with a normal and a Mojave (not that that matters)

Nowhere did this poster ask for opinions on if they have a high value breeding stock they just asked how to proceed and instead everyone’s got an opinion on what they have to do with their own animals? Seriously?

3 Likes

None of you have even seen their animals they could be the best single gene butter you’ve ever seen or a really cool normal! None of you want Justin’s honest opinion of how good your collections are…yet I am surprised so many are not just answering their question and instead giving unrelated and un asked for advice. We should be better.

I’ll leave it at that. None of you would want to ask a how to question and instead get criticized for not having “good enough” stock.

Treat others the same way you want to be treated.

3 Likes