Carpet python, Green Tree Python or other?

so i have a 2x2x3 arboreal style cage with a RHP. i was wondering recommendations to stock the enclosure. i originally purchased for a gtp but i am up to recommendations for other species. i want something that is attractive and large enough/ will be large enough to fill out the enclosure well. any recommendations are appreciated as well as pros and cons to carpets and gtps. thank you!

2 Likes

Variable bush viper! Aka squams

7 Likes

I’d eliminate Carpet Python from the list due to the size of the enclosure…Carpets are very busy and use every inch of space plus get longer and thicker then GTP and Emeralds. They are also just semi arboreal so an arboreal cage such as that one would not be great for it. I’d say either an ATB or the Emerald. I honestly like a bit bigger enclosure size for an Emerald once it gets to its adult size…Maybe 3x2x3 (I just recieved an AP cage size 3x2x4 for my ETB). That being said ATB or ETB (maybe upgrade size when ETB reaches adulthood).

3 Likes

Agree :100: I also wouldn’t keep an adult gtp in that size enclosure as well. Amazon tree boa would be a good fit. They also came in a wide variety of colors and are relatively easy to care for.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention that another cool thing about ATB’s is they utilize both the perches and the lower/ground areas occasionally. On the other hand if you ever see an ETB or GTP spending alot of time on ground you might have husbandry issue. Forgot you mentioned gtp’s in initial post…They also make great display animal like the others.

2 Likes

They’re so cool! Ive seen them at the serpetarium here but I’m still somewhat nervous about hots honestly

1 Like

How big do ATB get?

1 Like

Argh, here we go again @saleengrinch! Lol!

3 Likes

About 5-6 feet…They can be long but usually slender when it comes to thickness. They aren’t the type snake you should over feed or give prey items that are to large as they can regurgitate meals.

1 Like

In my experiences that’s on the large end of there range. But they can be deceiving because they are a slender snake. They are my favorites out of all the tree boas/pythons!

I can’t help it they are my favorite!!! I’m waiting on the weather to clear so I can ship out all my on hold snakes. Then I’m picking up a pair!!! They look like wingless dragons!!!

I was semi joking lol! Definitely not something you should get into if your not prepared for it! Honestly large retics make me more nervous than bush vipers! But that’s me personally bush viper venom is very mild and they aren’t overly defensive snakes! Imo the are the most beautiful of all snakes!!! I especially love the yellows!!!

My recommendation for you would be a atb! They come in yellow as well lol.

4 Likes

One of the most if not THE most gorgeous of all hots…

The Gaboon Vipers look like works of art and an Albino rattlesnake to round it all off.

Those 3 hots I’d be happy with. IF…I ever were to get venomous other then rear fanged.

2 Likes

Love gabbys too!!! But that’s a little to hot for me!

2 Likes

@saleengrinch @ag2357 thanks for opening my eyes to a new possibility, I’m gonna start doing some research into Amazon Tree Boas

Respectfully, this is not accurate.

Depending on the ssp., carpets can get large if fed obnoxiously but a properly maintained carpet can comfortably be 120-150cm and not much heavier bodied than a rat snake. Something like a Darwin or a jungle or a Papuan/IJ could very comfortably and happily be housed in an enclosure the size of the OP’s.

Another option might be a rough-scale python if you provide it with numerous ledges and such. And an egg-eater would thrive in a cage that size

1 Like

2x2x3 arboreal style cage Seems a bit small for an adult carpet python to me.

2 Likes

I know carpet breeders keeping in similar size cages.

Heck, I raised a bredli in a 60cm Neodesha for four years and I have an eighteen year old GTP that I have kept in a 30cm x 80cm x 75cm tank for the past fourteen years.

If you properly outfit a cage with hides, climbs, perches, ledges, etc., then the available surface area can increased rather dramatically

2 Likes

I feel that this gets to often overlook when considering what or how to make a wonderful home for our snakes.

3 Likes

I agree!! I’ve had a couple of carpets in the past and they were huge lol. So my scope of vision is limited with them.

2 Likes

so its doable if i create the right environment? right now i have varying sizes and girths of oak branches with forks and bends in them and i was going to structure it similar to my frilled dragon enclosure with fake plants attached and the substrate would be a blend of play sand, eco earth, reptichip, forest floor and sphagnum moss.

1 Like

also, seeing as you have kept both a carpet and green tree, what would you recommend and what would you say are pros and cons to each?

1 Like