High humidity Lizards

Alright, I have a few questions. I have some Mexican Alligator Lizards. I live in a very dry desert in Washington state (yes that’s a thing, it’s not all trees) right now they are in a bio active set up with 3 live plants, cork bark, moss and a fogger. But it’s glass. Does have more vents then other terrariums. I’ve read a few different things about glass. Some say no way and others say depends on where you live. These lizards need around 80% humidity, I attached a picture of what their humidity is holding at with a GLASS tank and fogger. It’s a struggle to keep it up. They are in a reptile room with an indoor pond and lots of plants and that room struggles to stay at 30% humidity. In the summer it drops to 12% humidity. I have placed a small fan on a shelf, on a timer, above their enclosure to move air around, but it’s not pointed at them. It goes on and off throughout the day. Same with the fogger. I even spray them down. They will be getting moved to my old iguana enclosure and when I add changes to it I wanted some advice. Seeing how hard it is to keep humidity up, do I add more screen mesh to the new enclosure? Also back story on mesh cages here… my friend had an iguana in one, fogger 24/7 on blast, moss got moldy extremely fast while humidity was HORRIBLE. She got a respiratory infection and nose would dry out so she couldn’t sneeze. I have my iguana in a more enclosed enclosure and she’s perfectly healthy. I’ve asked someone who seemed to know a lot about these lizards and explained all of this and it was still “mesh only” conversation. I’m completely split on what to do. My gut says stay with what you know about where you live and my other side says listen to them and add mesh to their new enclosure.

3 Likes

For my higher humidity enclosure I added a drainage layer (unfortunately after I already built it) and added aluminum foil to the top screen to hold humidity in. I also added large water dishes around the enclosure to raise the humidity. I also have heat pads instead of basking lights when possible since the lights dry out the enclosure too much.

4 Likes

Unfortunately heat pads won’t work. I have ball pythons and will screen shot their enclosures with this type of set up your talking about but I use a hand towel instead. I’ll also add what my iguana enclosure sits at. I’m very much about numbers. Every room and every tank is on my phone with labels. Irie is the iguana and Star-lord my ball python :joy:

4 Likes

If keeping humidity in is the concern then idk how a screen enclosure is the answer. Agree w foil or plastic wrap to cover/seal top, you can have sheets of plexiglass cut at local hardware store. It also looks like you have good peaks and drying of humidity, I don’t think it should be 90% 24/7. But yes larger/additional water bowls could help or if you want to get really fancy a waterfall feature.

5 Likes

Ah yes thank you, that’s how I feel. I don’t see how a screen enclosure would work at all. They said because they need air flow so I added the fan to move air around. I also agree they don’t need high humidity stable. They need it to fluctuate just like it would in their natural environment. That’s why the fogger and fan are on timers. I do have two waterfalls to pick from to add to it. I’m building my iguana enclosure out of plexiglass. :blush:

2 Likes

It’s very windy where I live so I think that with it already being dry sucks the moisture out of everything, even in our house. We have to use a humidifier sometimes for ourselves.

2 Likes

I used to have one of these…I kept in a screen type cage such as the one’s used for chameleons. These guys actually require good ventalation which make it harder to keep humidity. I was lucky as I was actually able to keep humidity in the screen cage by only cover the bottom half of the cage with plastic wrap and my humidifier hose ran all way down to bottom of cage…Used coco husk and spaghn moss as substrate and if substrate got to dry I’d mist with water. I still misted the cage daily…Especially the top area and leaves/branches and Abronia its self if he was out n about. I used a heat lamp up top for a hot spot which it used often. He seamed to rotate his use of the higher humidity bottom half and dryer top section.

2 Likes

Do you think a fan in there direction is enough air movement? The enclosure they will be ungraded too is homemade so I can add whatever vents I need to but this is what they are in now with two fans in the room moving air around.

1 Like

I guess a fan might work…Not real close as to cause a tornado in enclosure obviously lol. Just don’t leave it in the fixed position…Put it on the back n forth setting. What size is the enclosure? Remember these guys are arboreal so height is good.

2 Likes

It’s an old book case so a lot taller then wide. It will be perfect for them just want to know how much vents I need to put in. As soon as the new iguana enclosure is done I will be working on theirs. Will be a foam background with cork bark and planting bromeliads in the bark. Fans are on the other side of the room and moving. Should be ok then until I’m done. Thank you!

2 Likes

Sounds good pretty lady.

1 Like

And the enclosure is complete!

6 Likes

Lots of nice hiding and climbing spots in there. Will the wood hold up to the humidity? Was it sealed in any way? It would suck after getting it all nice n setup the wood started to warp and stuff.

1 Like

This was my iguana enclosure first. I sanded it all down, I painted it, sprayed it with flex seal (a rubber coating) then sprayed it with rust ez. It held humidity great for my iguana and I didn’t do all of the things I just mentioned. It was a used bookcase so if it can’t hold up I will build something out of plexiglass like I did for my iguana and and frilled dragon

2 Likes

Cool…Enjoy those beautys. These awesome looking lizards are endangered (or used to be as far as I know) so I hope some babies are in your future :slight_smile:

3 Likes