Nuclear line - Sand Boas

Continuing the discussion from What new reptiles have you bought recently?:

1 Like

There is no such thing as a ā€œhet nuclearā€ sand boa. It is a line bred trait.

3 Likes

@westridge

Okay so if one parent is Nuclear and the other has Nuclear in their line but doesnā€™t show traits? Thatā€™s how the breeder explained it to meā€¦ I guess Iā€™m calling it wrong or the breeder lied?

2 Likes

If an animal from a Nuclear pairing does not show any Nuclear traits, it is a normal.

2 Likes

Nuclear is not a recessive gene.
It is a combination of fire and butter.
If you breed 2 Nuclear together you
can get 9 different offspring, one of which can be Blue Eyed Lucy ( but/but) Super Fire. Use MM calculator. It is very useful in finding out what your snakes are and pairing outcomes.

1 Like

@westridge

I know nuclear is something that brightens the snakeā€™s colors in general and the snake I bought is definitely not your typical color of sand boa. Could he be showing traits and able to possibly brighten offspring?

I think you gals are talking about two different types of snakes.

1 Like

Oh I forgot were not taking about Ball Pythons. My bad. I was half asleep. Disregard my comment. Lol!

2 Likes

@wmb1965

Haha no problem! Iā€™ve done that before. Appreciate the help all the same.

2 Likes

Iā€™m no expert on Sand Boas, but @westridge is right.

Nuclear is a linebred trait not a recessive but with that said I think this a Nuclear .

Super bright reds and oranges is what we are looking for.

Some fun background on Nuclear from the founder Roy Stockwell:

ā€œI got my founder pair in 1986ā€¦ they were typical yellowy orange EASBs.The geographic origin of the founder stock is unknown.
I noticed the first time I bred them in 89, that there were a couple babies that were far more orange than othersā€¦ I have always kept back the most orange babies, through numerous generationsā€¦ and bred them,with each other, making brighter and brighter orange kenyans . Itā€™s not actually a mutationā€¦ It probably involves the focusing of several genes. Itā€™s selective breeding or ā€œline breedingā€
For years I called them High orange Kenyansā€¦ Jeff Favelle is actually the guy that starting referring to them as ā€˜Nuclearsā€™ā€

3 Likes