And so it begins

I’ve started work on a 4x2x2 for a neglected bearded dragon that’s going to be given to me. This is my first time building an enclosure from scratch, I’ve been watching YouTube vids like no tomorrow

9 Likes

Isn’t it a bit unsafe to use wood enclosures for lizards that need high basking temps? I would think it would be a fire hazard.

1 Like

Wood won’t combust until 300 Celsius (572 Fahrenheit). As long as the heat source isn’t too close to the material it’ll be fine.

What are your plans regarding sealing and heating source?

4 Likes

As Randal stated, wood is fine, ceramic heat lamps don’t get anywhere near hot enough to ignite wood. Wooden enclosures are actually better than glass for high basking temp animals because they hold heat better

3 Likes

Was going to use a bunch of coats of liquid rubber to seal, to my knowledge it won’t melt or ignite unless exposed to very high temperatures like the wood

I made a shelving unit similar to this. Just make sure you’re able to take it apart to fit it through a doorway. What I did is used small square lengths of wood on each of the edges to attach the sides to.

5 Likes

This is a 2ft viv and all my doors are 2 1/2 ft wide so no worries!

2 Likes

Just making sure since I had to put a bit of extra work into mine to be disassemblable to fit it through the door. Didn’t want you to not make it disassemblable and make more work.

3 Likes

Quick status update!

I ran out of zipties :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Foamed

6 Likes

I love progressive post

2 Likes

No picture this time because I’m still waiting for some more stuff to arrive, but a brown recluse spider decided to investigate my background work :sweat_smile:
Luckily they’re not aggressive and he took off running but looks like I’m going to have to take closer looks at my project before siliconing

2 Likes

That brown recluse was just wondering if you could build it an enclosure next and take it in as a pet. It was just checking out your handy-work with this project first.

4 Likes

Got some reptisoil and slate stone siliconed on

4 Likes

Coco husk’d

5 Likes

Attached the wheels, background and glass tracks today!

7 Likes

Decided to go with a red stain, got the first coat on. Also installed uvb and led lighting

5 Likes

2nd coat is on

6 Likes

I like the red stain. Nice and unique. Looking forward to seeing this when you get it set up.

5 Likes

Currently the only live plant is elephant’s food, but I finally finished building it!!

10 Likes