What else do I need. Enclosure

I purchased this tank used. It is an 18x18x24 exo-terra. Everything in the tank is new except for the analog temp and humidity stickons. I will replace those with digital ones.

I have some deadwood, some cork bark, and twisty vine thing, along with some fake plant suction cup things.

I am using a magnetic ledge double feeder with water and Pangea. I have a magnetic single ledge with water and a cup with Pangea on the enclosure floor.

The reptile store recommended the light. It is an Arcadia Jungle Dawn 15w LED bar.

A slight temp increase would be good as well—any recommendations. I am talking like 3 or 4 degrees.

What more do I need to add, or what should I change?

3 Likes

Most of it looks good, I’m not sure if the gecko would get it’s claws stuck in the repti-hammock or not. I would also provide more cover in the middle of the tank, the gecko would feel vulnerable. You should also at least cover the back but I would recommend covering 3 sides.

3 Likes

I agree some more cover in the middle would be great. What sort of temperature is it currently?

Not sure on the hammock, I have a hammock but it’s different material.

A background would helpa little with warmth.

4 Likes

Live plants would be good, background as said so it’s full bio then.
And thicker branches/more branches.
Wouldn’t use the hammock personally :blush:

4 Likes

Do y have any live plants that you would recommend?

1 Like

For a heavy cover vine-like plant that is meant to provide cover rather than give them something to climb on I recommend pothos. It’s best to reinforce it on something so it doesn’t fall if a gecko jumps on it.

2 Likes

There are plenty of suitable live plants, I’ve listed some plants that I have used with my Cresties. Don’t provide high and some proved low coverage, I’ve found dinner Cresties like to be up high, while others prefer down the bottom half so I like to cover all areas. Just make sure you wash the plant and remove the soil it comes in as could carry germs or unwanted visitors.

• Begonia Sp
  • Birds Nest Fern (Asplenium Antiquum)
  • Creeping Fig (Ficus Pumila)
  • Devil’s-tail plant (Epipremnum aureum)
  • Dwarf Umbrella Tree (Schefflera Arboricola)
  • Earth Star (Cryptanthus Sp)
  • Flamingo Flower (Anthurium Sp)
  • Garden Croton (Codiaeum Variegatum)
  • Peace Lily (Spathiphyllium Sp)
  • Wax Plant (Hoya Carnosa)
  • Weeping Fig (Ficus Benjamina)
  • Polka Dot Plant (Hypoestres Sp)
  • Prayer Plant (Calathea)
  • Rattlesnake (Calathea)
    *Mother In Law Tongue (Dracaena Trifasciata)
    *Dragon Tree (Dracaena Fragrans)
    *Violet Inch Plant (Tradescantia Zebrina)
  • Pink Quill (Tillandsia Cyanea)
3 Likes

What a nice list. I should print this off and see what I can find.

If I do add plants, should I remove everything and put in a drainage layer?

I keep a list on my reptile website, although I need to update the plant list.

If you are thinking of live plants, I’d suggest bio-active!

I have used drainage layer for most of my Cresties homes, but I’m trialling without In some too. The plants are definitely healthier with the drainage layer

2 Likes

I was just looking at this set of plants. What do you think?

I can’t see them being a problem. I have used that website to help determine safe plants. Only thing is you don’t get to choose which plants you get, I like to choose my plants, but if your not fussed then that’s not going to be an issue.

I’ve added a pic of one of my Cresties enclosures, just as an idea on things you can do.

1 Like

I just saved that for inspiration. That is beautiful.
What are you using for a background?

1 Like

I purchased the rock terrarium background by exo Terra, I would love to make my own background, but I have too much on my hands with 2 kids… It’s definitely something I’m going to look to do way in the future.

I try to buy easy to care for plants. I’ve had bio-active terrariums for over 2 years now and it’s great.

Definitely research the care of a plant first! Some need lots of light, while others little and some need lots of water while others little

2 Likes

If making own background, expanding foam, gorilla glue and substrate, we also use cork on the back. They look amazing and all natural then, all ours have them done, apart from a couple newer ones left to do now too. But it’s quite fun making them from Scratch.
Plants look fine, as said if you don’t mind not choosing and getting a surprise go for it!
Keep in mind if you ever want to breed in the future too, don’t have plants at the bottom of the females viv, when breeding and laying they will dig under them and then have fun getting the eggs! :joy:
I have a peace Lilly on the bottom of a couple of our female vivs atm and the amount of times I’ve had to lift it up and out to get the eggs under it is a nightmare! I’ve decided I’ll be changing them up as my gosh they’re little buggers and love digging up plants to lay underneath :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@ghoulishcresties @foxreptile
I don’t know who you two are, but you have been so helpful and kind on my adventure. I appreciate everything. It’s just nice to have guidance. I feel like I could go to my local nursery and buy some plants and stick them in my tank, and it will be amazing. You two make things seem so simple, even if it all seems overwhelming.

2 Likes

:blush: glad to help, any questions just ask.

I buy most of my plants from garden centres, but I do thoroughly wash them and keep them for a while before putting them into the enclosure

2 Likes

Happy to help!
As said anything else just ask :blush:
Myself and Fox are a bit Cresties mad I think :lizard:
Garden centres are good, depending where from we co2 ours to kill of any bugs/slugs/snails/eggs etc. As some times they could have eggs on and you won’t know until you find a little slug or snail in the viv and then it’s a pain getting rid of them! :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Very true, I found snails in one of my terrariums a few months back. But I don’t know how they got there as I planted it over 2 years ago with nothing added in other than Cresties lol.

Just remember live plants need light, UV is great, however mine are in our conservatory and do well

3 Likes

If you’re looking for some starter plants I would be more than happy to mail you some cuttings for free! I am one of those crazy plant people and always have extras anyway. It’s really nice to see people dedicated to getting care right for their potential pets, your gecko is going to have an excellent home!

3 Likes

That’s so nice. I’d offer to take cuttings, but I don’t think they would last the journey as I’m in the UK and I have no idea how to actually pack them lol

Cuttings will need to establish before putting with a Crestie or the Crestie will destroy it.

I have a little plant that I grew from a cutting in with a 7 gram Crestie so depends on the Crestie as to how soon you can put it in.

2 Likes