Jungle carpet python housing question

I’ve got a female jungle carpet python that’s growing rapidly and is about ready to be rehoused into a bigger tank. Something I’d like to do is build out a big 4’x4’x2’ live-planted, bioactive enclosure.
My question is: will the animal actually take advantage of all 4 feet of verticality or would it be better suited in something smaller like a 4’x2’x2’?

3 Likes

You can give a carpet as much space as you want and it will use it. All of mine have branches and you’ll always find them perched.

2 Likes

Good to know. I really want to be able to do a nice heavily planted vivarium for her. Strongly considering including a 2-3 foot weeping fig in the enclosure

2 Likes

Remember that because carpets are large active snakes, this may cause issues with living plants. Mainly them crushing plants beyond repair. Just something to think about when planning for bioactive enclosures.

5 Likes

Yeah, this is why I’m looking toward larger, sturdier plants like the weeping fig, as well as plants that are hardy ground cover or climbers. Maybe something like pothos cascading down one of the walls.

3 Likes

Definitely keep us updated on how you go about building this ecosystem and keeping it staying because this is a topic that is not commonly discussed (Big snakes in bio active enclosures) Best of wishes, I hope it works out :heart:

1 Like

Will do. I’ll probably start a new forum topic for that and treat it like a blog to share the build start to finish.
I’ve also got plans drawn up for a bioactive, live planted habitat for a small colony of ackie monitors but that won’t be for a while ($$$$).

3 Likes

I really like that idea! It will definitely make for a good read for people like me that enjoy blog type posts.

2 Likes

The enclosure for this project came in yesterday. 4x2x4 is a lot bigger in real life than it sounds on paper. Let me just say that this is the first enclosure I e owned that I can actually fit inside of (even if I have to squat).

3 Likes