Tricolor Hognose Finally Hatched

It’s been approximately 75 days of incubation, but here’s some pics of the happenings. :grin:

26 Likes

Aww babies!! I can’t wait to breed them myself. Such a neat species.

2 Likes

My absolute favorite hognose morph! (Maybe even my favorite morph of all time) so beautiful. Congratulations and good luck with these babies!

3 Likes

Congratulations! Yeah, tricolors take their sweet time when it comes to hatching. I guess it’s to make up for them doing everything else in fast forward. :rofl:

Enjoy your little one! And watch your mama(s). One of my girls laid SIX clutches last year!

5 Likes

Yeah, we have three more in incubation currently. Largest clutch had 11 eggs!

3 Likes

It isn’t a morph, it is a species all its own.

7 Likes

And even its own genus! (Xenodon vs. Heterodon, though both are in the family colubridae.) It’s crazy how similar they are and yet so different.

8 Likes

Super super awesome!!! Congratulations! That’s so freaking cool!

3 Likes

Really cool! This species has been on my dream snake list for quite a while.

4 Likes

I used to think tricolors were a morph too :rofl:

Here’s my girl :heart:

14 Likes

Congratulations they are absolutely beautiful :heart_eyes:

1 Like

My fav type of Hognose! Beautiful :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

Have they reddened up yet?

2 Likes

@lumpy Honestly, they are running the gambit from orange → burnt orange → red. No two are alike!

3 Likes

That is a pretty wonderful result

2 Likes

I own a anaconda western hognose and I love her, but I gotta admit tricolors are amazing looking snakes.

2 Likes

What beauties! Congratulations - and please send us updated pics as they grow. :wink: What are your plans for them?

1 Like

awesome!!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Those guys are so cute! I love the look of the tri color hogs, unfortunately, I can’t have them here. Tennessee puts them in the same class 1 group with all the other venomous reptiles. Which means having the same level of permit, and enclosure, and inspection by wildlife officers, and keep antivenom (which doesn’t exist for this species), etc. Just like if you wanted to keep a cobra, or taipan, or mangrove, or any other mildly venomous species.:roll_eyes::man_shrugging:

The only exceptions are Eastern hogs as class 2 native wildlife. And western hogs as class 3 unrestricted. Odd how the two most popular in the pet trade get a pass, but these lovelies don’t. :thinking::disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes