Good intermediate gecko species

I have some experience caring for arboreal gecko species, and I want to get another sometime next year, but I can’t decide what. I have experience with rhacodactylus geckos, so I’d like most suggestions to steer clear of any rhacodactylus species. thanks.

You could try day geckos or skinks (especially crocodile skinks),

Sorry, forgot to mention, I’m looking for something handleable, or at least will tolerate occasional handling.

2 Likes

Tokays, when worked with when they’re young, can be handleable from what I’ve seen. I haven’t personally owned any tokay so I can’t truly verify it.

Some giant day geckos can grow to tolerate their owners and even crawl onto your arm, but that takes a very long time. My experience with Car Insurance has taught me that he doesn’t like me :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I know they’re super closely related to crested geckos, and I said I didn’t want anything rhacodactylus or related to crested geckos and stuff like that, but how handleable are Correlophus sarasinorum?

I think that a lot of arboreal gecko species in the pet trade are Rhacodactylus. I think I remember reading that some Uroplatus (leaf-tailed geckos) are intermediate level.

I don’t think they’re super aboreal but I don’t know anything else about them

2 Likes

What about Aeluroscalabotes Felinus (Cat Gecko)? They look adorable and are semi arboreal. Although I believe they need specific needs in order to thrive.

2 Likes

I would recommend the larger Uroplatus species such as fimbriatus or sikorae as a good intermediate level arboreal gecko. My specimens were very handleable, even the WC individuals. I would recommend starting out with CBB or CH specimens at first, because WC individuals can be difficult to acclimate. If you’re interested in this genus, I’d be happy to talk more about it with you.

5 Likes

I was hopping in here to suggest Uroplatus as well. Avoid wild caught individuals, getting them acclimated is tough. What’s nice about Uroplatus is that most species have the same general temperature requirements as Rhacs, so you could keep them in the same room without worrying about heating elements getting things too toasty for the Rhacs. Tank set up is similar too, just the larger species will need proportionally larger tanks.

1 Like

It’s a three way tie for me between sarasinorums, malaysian cat geckos and mossy leaf tailed geckos.

2 Likes

They are all good choices. I think it’s best to look at what needs they each have and work out what you think will be best for you. I want to have a cat gecko eventually but I’m focusing on breeding crested Geckos ATM :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

How about Eurydactylodes? They are pretty easy to keep, and are really handleable.

4 Likes

I’m gonna jump in and say fat tails. Absolutely stunning geckos and very chilled out :blush:
I love them as completely different to all my cresties!

3 Likes

Like I said though, I want an arboreal gecko. I’ll definately be getting fat tails, but this thread is focused on arboreals.

1 Like

Sara’s are so underrated and absolutely amazing. As hatchlings, they’re very jumpy. With semi-regular handling, they can be very chill gecko’s.

Have you thought of any of the Strophurus species?

2 Likes

Tokays and Rhacodactylus closely related? Looking at a phylogeny of the seven families within Gekkota, it doesn’t seem like Gekkonidae (which contains day geckos and tokays) and Diplodactylidae (containing genus Rhacodactylus) could be farther seperated from one another while remaining both geckos.

Edit: sarasinorum geckos are actually in that same family Diplodactylae along with Rhacodactylus

2 Likes

Tokays are not closely related to New Caledonian geckos. Sarasinorum are close relatives of Rhacodactylus and were formerly placed in that genus. They were moved to the genus Correlophus, along with their close relative, the Crested Gecko.

5 Likes

Did I ever say tokays and rhacs were closely related?

I think this is what they are referring to.

I never mentioned tokays though. all i said is I don’t want new caledonian geckos in the genuses rhacodactylus, correlophus and Mniarogekko.

1 Like