Bearded dragon hydration

What’s the best way to hydrate a bearded dragon, I put water in his cage and never seen him drink and I soak him once a week

1 Like

i would say justt keep the water dish in there and mist every once in ahwhile

1 Like

I’ve never kept bearded dragons myself, but in general for reptiles, increasing the water content of their food helps to maintain hydration. Hopefully folks more familiar with bearded dragon husbandry will chime in.

1 Like

Fresh, beardie safe veggies would help to increase your dragon’s hydration. Some people maintaining bioactive enclosures also mist at night to create a natural rise in humidity

1 Like

Dragons generally get their hydration from the foods they eat. It’s important to gut load and hydrate your feeders for this reason. It’s also important to give them access to dark leafy greens. Dragons will not drink standing water, or drink in a soak if they do not feel they need the extra hydration. Soaks are utilized to make up for lapses in husbandry (animals being kept too hot etc.)
Pogona vitticeps are an arid species and have adapted to that sort of environment.
If your dragon isn’t drinking, it does not feel the need to do so. If your husbandry is where it needs to be, I wouldn’t worry too much that your animal isn’t actively drinking standing water. Make sure to keep your water bowls clean too.

4 Likes

What is the best Greens to feed a baby/Juvenile Bearded dragon?

We feed mixed spring greens. Arugula, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, endive are all good, easy to find greens to feed.

1 Like

It’s important that any greens you feed have more calcium than phosphorus, just like all the rest of the food they eat. You need to do research to find which veggies are appropriate. HERE is one resource I found that covers the Ca:P ratio in veggies. EDIT: You need to determine which veggies on the list are appropriate for beardies, the list is not beardie-specific.

1 Like