Egg cutting no dimpling

If I’m at day 58 of incubation and one egg was already very dimpled which I cut and it’s a healthy banana Cinny, but the other eggs haven’t started dimpling yet , would it be safe to cut them to take a peak? Or do I hve to wait till the dimpling happens?

1 Like

Don’t cut until the second pip. I personally dislike cutting but if you’re going to do it wait until the second pip. You got lucky cutting one based on time because most eggs don’t follow a schedule and by cutting you could be forcing an undeveloped snake out. 99% of the time snakes come out on their own and don’t need help. More harm than good can be caused by cutting and often the ones that don’t come out on their own have other problems. By letting those genetically defected snakes breed it weakens the population of captive snakes.

4 Likes

:thinking: I never thought of that. I just see it so often on YouTube that I thought it was the norm. I’ll definitely keep in mind what you’ve mentioned. When you say pip, are you referring to what I’m calling dimpling ?

1 Like

No, pipping is when they cut the eggs themselves. They use their egg tooth to pierce the shell. You’ll usually see an egg that has pipped with a little nose sticking out :grinning:

Here is one of my little babies pipping

3 Likes

6 Likes

They won’t always dimple.

5 Likes

I agree, I don’t believe you should cut the eggs, unless most have piped and it’s been a few days… But still not sure I’d still cut the egg.

One of our snakes piped, but the egg didn’t open enough and the snake got stuck, so we made the slit a little bigger, not sure whether it’s something we should have done or not, but the snake died a little while after as it also hadn’t absorbed of yolk properly. I guess it wasn’t meant to be :sweat:

3 Likes

I know it’s sad but it shows what I said about how a snake that can’t get itself out of the egg often has other problems and ideally shouldn’t be released into the breeding population.

5 Likes

Agreed, although I wanted it as a pet but never mind :sweat: