Breeding retics

Just wanted to see what you guys do to prep your females for breeding, temperature manipulation, shortening days, etc. Always trying to learn more so any input is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

The biggest thing with breeding retics is food. I tend to feed my females lighter throughout most of the year and then when I decide I want to try to breed them i start hammering the food into them.

The spike in calories USUALLY gets them to cycle. Me personally, I do not lower temps or anything like that in their cages, but my animals are in my basement and during the winter months it obviously is going to go through a natural temperature drop.

3 Likes

Appreciate the response! Do you change the frequency or meal size or both? Whats your schedule? Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

It depends on what size prey I am getting at the time. If I am getting smaller feeders I will up the size as well but 100% increase the frequency. Remember you are wanting them to have that spike in caloric intake to really start getting them to cycle. My schedule depends on the female. Example. If I am feeding a female a 5-7lb pig every 3-4 weeks. I will up that to every 7–10 days. Depending on how quickly she metabolizes the food down.

2 Likes

Noted. Thanks for the help Jake!

1 Like