Tips On Navigating Ball Python Market

I’m a starting up western hognose breeder who wants to breed ball pythons in the future, and I’d like some tips on making the market less confusing. There are so many morphs and combinations that it can get a little overwhelming, so do you have any times on how to feel less overwhelmed?

4 Likes

I would say, find what you like in general (dark/light or busy/clean) then really look through the market and see what you like for combos. Obviously, then see what “ingredients” you would need to produce your desired combo, then find yourself a female to grow up and later buy a male.

7 Likes

I shared the same feelings of being overwhelmed when I became interested in ball pythons. I had a full grasp of boa mutations and in contrast it seemed impossible to gain a similar understanding with ball pythons due to the sheer number of mutations. After a few years of study it has become more clear that it’s simply not possible to be an expert on every mutation and potential combination so there’s no point in stressing about it. Even breeders that have been in this for decades don’t have a full grasp of everything and as more mutations are combined it’s only getting more complex.

YouTube is a great source for seeking out various mutation combinations. Justin Kobylka has been making incredibly informative videos highlighting the cream of the crop combinations for over a decade. My advice would be to watch some youtube videos, browse instagram, and of course MorphMarket and think about what interests you most. Narrow down on that and try to understand it one step at a time.

Pied and Clown are the bedrock staple recessive mutations of the hobby. One of those could be a good place to start. Desert Ghost has become recognized as one of the most useful mutations especially in recent years. Sunset and puzzle are newer recessive bases that show a lot of promise. Try to pick a recessive base then see how various (co)(inc) dominant mutations react with it.

As you focus down on what interests you most you can slowly branch out and gain understanding of the whole picture. In time it wont seem so overwhelming.

10 Likes

Don’t rush. I know its tempting.
Study MorphMarket and youtube first. Then start with those your certain about. Picking up others as your certainty about them increases .
you don’t want to end up with a morph or multiple morph that you don’t want later or wont fit into your breeding plans later. Unless you have unlimited funds that is.

3 Likes