Can you contact breeders about care for a reptile your interested in

Hi, I want to know if you can talk to breeders on the phone or email about enclosure size and care for a species you want to buy while you are doing your research.

5 Likes

If you have any questions regarding a reptile ask away on here and there’s a lot who can help you.
Or alternatively ask the breeder you’re looking at buying from!
You’ll find some lovely helpful people about :relaxed:

4 Likes

I can see it being a good thing or bad thing depending on the breeder. Some may view it as you looking to do things right and may let you put down a deposit to hold the snake until you are ready. Others may decide you didnt do your research first, and not risk you not following through. But just about all should give you the information you are looking for :). Just remember that to some breeders they are running a business, and its likely they get alot of people asking the exact same questions, so if you dont get a response it doesnt necessarily mean they are a bad person, but may not have had the time to answer everyones questions, and they chose to focus on questions relating to sales :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m always down to answer my customers questions about my animals, but if they get overly interested in their living quarters I personally start trying to ditch out of the conversation. I’m nice and will answer basic questions, and direct them to my Instagram feed (since I post my snakes in their tubs most of the times). If they continue to what feels like “hound” me on husbandry or anything related I move on, and tell them that. There’s a correct way to ask a breeder, and then there’s an annoying “I’ll never sell you a snake” type way of doing it. Make sure you do the first one because breeders will talk about sellers in private messages.

3 Likes

Im not purchasing anything right now im just researching first but thank you for the information

2 Likes

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I would vastly prefer someone reach out to me for information than risk caring for an animal improperly. Even if someone isn’t buying an animal from me at that moment in time, part of breeding and being involved in the field is being there to guide others

6 Likes

I know I’m researching about enclosure and I would like to talk to sellers about the animals proper enclosure because they best know those animals than me.

2 Likes

I think as long as you state that comment first before asking your questions, individual breeders can then decide if they want to take the time to talk even though it won’t result in a sale (as least not right away!). Personally, I am always happy to talk snakes and reptiles, even if the person wasn’t interested in buying. I think most hobby breeders will be happy to answer questions, but just letting them know up front that you’re not ready to purchase yet will give them the option to chat or not, without thinking you’re a tire-kicker.

And of course, you’re always welcome to post general questions here in the community forum too.

5 Likes

I personally love talking reptiles and all that with anybody, especially when someone is planning on getting their first ones or expending and want to buy from me. I have quite a bit of time on my hands as my collection is pretty small, but some bigger sellers simply don’t have the time to say the same things over and over and over again. Sometimes sellers can sound a little hostile as well, simply because you are not the first person to ask the question.

Things to avoid and my serious pet-peeves:

• DO NOT ASK FOR THE PRICE WHEN THE PRICE IS ALREADY STATED IN THE AD! (Big one that seriously ticks me off and forms my view of that person for the rest of the business. IT IS USUALLY WRITTEN ON THE AD MULTIPLE TIMES. READ THE PRICE TAG!!! SO SIMPLE!!!)
  • DO NOT ASK THE SAME QUESTION OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
  • BE PATIENT. SELLERS DON’T HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD.
  • USE CORRECT GRAMMAR AND SPELLING. I AM ALWAYS INCLINED TO GIVE MY TIME AND BEST QUALITY BUSINESS TO SOMEONE WHO WILL ALSO GIVE ME THEIR TIME.
  • DO SOME BASIC RESEARCH FIRST. You can ask some questions, but others like “What size tank is the minimum?” can easily be Googled and will save both yours and the seller’s time.

Some may not be as willing to give their time, but generally people in this hobby are very courteous and value the beginners with a want to learn.

5 Likes

Sorry if it seemed like I was yelling in my head or something. It is because I was. You have no idea how many times someone has asked me the price when it was listed over 5 times in the description. Over time you just start to snap you know? :weary: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

No, it’s okay thanks for the information.

1 Like

^ this

If you reached out to me, like I’ve had others before just getting into the hobby and this is your first/second purchase, I will gladly spill my guts of information all over you AND then come back and check on you periodically over a year :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Most of the time you can. Most breeders are more than happy to talk to you. However, you shouldn’t be asking obvious questions. If it’s a ball python asking them what the minimum enclosure size is easy to find online. Asking what enclosures they use is different and better in my opinion. If it’s a more unique and rarer reptile species they will likely be happier to give you much more information since you might not be able to find care online.

2 Likes

@erie-herps I agree. Some species have more info out there to research, but for some you really need to ask someone directly with experience.

Yep. If forgot to state that in my reply. It is always good to ask for the seller’s preferences and what they use :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would say it is fine to reach out about some care but the buyer should understand that they will be questioned why they don’t know how to care for an animal that they are prepared to buy. That is at least what I think.

2 Likes

In a lot of cases yes.

But I had a lovely woman contact me about care etc with the Cresties.
She said she had spoken to other breeders who shot her down instantly and we’re quite rude.
She’s kept cresties before, years ago and wanted to get back into them.
I was happy to answer any questions she had and apparently I was the only one.
We all need to start somewhere at the end of the day!
I researched myself for a long time before taking the plunge, I knew no breeders like I do now so had no one to ask.
But if people need to know anything I’m always happy to help (I often get told I’m too nice and help too much) :joy:

2 Likes

Definitely not someone who has no knowledge base.

2 Likes

No, but because she had asked questions regarding going bio the breeders didn’t want to know…

I’ve also had people who’s never kept reptiles have cresties off of me. I helped with everything, even the bio side, and I’m even updated now and the girls are happy, healthy and breeding this year!

2 Likes

Yep, me too. Some people ask why I write “essays” on purpose even through messaging in text because I want to help them out the best I can. :slight_smile:

We were all beginners once, and we all had to get our first pet at some point. Let us all learn together :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love people like that though, anyone who’s happy to answer questions and help newbies are my people :joy:

We were once newbies who knew nothing too!

4 Likes