Gecko breeding fail

Hi guys it’s me again, it’s been weeks since I introduced my male to my female in her cage. They live stress free together and are doing well. But he has zero interest in her or any other female I’ve introduced. Has anyone else had a male that just isn’t interested at all?

My breeding season is not going well :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I unfortunately do not breed cresties but I must say that pair looks gorgeous💗 good luck!

2 Likes

Aw thank you!

How much does your male weight?

2 Likes

Yes what’s his weight and age. I have to say he looks a little small in this pic.

Could it be he hasn’t reached sexual maturity yet?

1 Like

So has he got definitely not touched her? As some males will only go near females when lights off I’ve found. So when you go to sleep, he may of had her many times.

I personally wouldn’t keep together. I literally pair for 3 days and split.

And as said what’s their weight? Some smaller males won’t go near bigger females.

2 Likes

Hey! To answer your questions; yes they have absolutely touched. They act as if neither exists. They will even sleep in the same spots side by side. They are roughly the same size. 40g+ she’s patient and receptive to him. But again, he does not try anything that I’ve noticed day or night. Fingers crossed it changes. Thankfully they do live in harmony. But I am watching very closely if either are stressed. Which they have not displayed any stress behaviors living together

I probably shouldn’t have used that specific picture. He is roughly the same size as her. She’s a hair bigger. I’ve had both for several years. I actually produced the female. They are both 40g+ and definite mature adults. Thanks for the response sorry I’m seeing this now!

1 Like

Do you have any more pics of him?

Females need to be 45+ Before breeding.

With leaving them together they will both be stressing as he will want to mate and she’ll be constantly pestered by him.
Just because you don’t see ‘stress’ doesn’t mean they aren’t. This can also cause issues with feeding, weight loss, which can then lead to egg laying issues etc

This is why I put the female to the male for 3 days and then split them up again.
It’s so she isn’t having to smell him constantly as they can stop eating and be on edge.

I’d separate for a bit, then pair her to his viv when she’s 45+ and only for a few days.
Sometimes separating helps too.

I picked up a pair of cresties a while ago, and their daughter, anyway I was told they were fine, lived together fine, no stress etc.
well when I got them home I could see she was not ok, she was on edge, he was slim too, Neither would eat much if at all. I split them up and they did amazing.

1 Like

Cresties often sleep in and areas togetherbecause that has the best spot for warmth cover and humidity. So it doesn’t mean they are getting along, just that part is ideal for what they want at the time.

I also don’t leave males and females together.
I put them into a breeding enclosure for approx 4 days.

Do you have any up to date pics of them?

1 Like

Hi there. Thanks for your input. Both eat great, have good weight and were perfectly healthy while living together. I rarely leave my pairs like that, but i knew for him it made him most comfortable. Sometimes they can be picky like that :face_with_spiral_eyes:. I did end up removing him and putting him in his own cage. As she might be gravid and he was showing signs of being interested in her! yay! In complete honesty I will say I don’t agree that they have to be at least 45g to breed. Or with the idea of moving the female around during breeding. But too each their own! I do appreciate you trying to help, he has been a tough cookie to get to breed. It’s been disappointing at times. Fingers crossed she’s gravid.

All the best

1 Like

Interesting point! Yes I absolutely did not think they were best friends or something haha. And yes I don’t usually ever leave any in groups. I just don’t like to even take the chance of stressing them out. But in this case I did extensive research and spoke to many other breeders who mentioned trying them together for some time. I watched them closely kept an eye on their weight etc. they were both thriving.

They are now separated due to the female possibly being gravid. Fingers crossed I’ll have some hatchlings from these two!

Thank you for your help/insight. This has been a tough pairing.

1 Like

So what would you say weight wise then? Curious.

Everyone goes by the 45+ for females and 35+ for males.
Any smaller for females and you risk problems.

What I have gathered from many sources over the years is that the rule of thumb is minimum of 35g for males, and 40g for females. Thankfully it has gone up over the years! Because I do agree the gecko needs to be fully mature for their safety. And for both male and female they need to be minimum of 18 months.

I’m in the US so it could be a bit different if you are elsewhere

Even in the US I know many people who follow the 45 female and 35 male rule.

I’d never go lower and to be honest know of people who’ve had issues when the female is below 45. Egg bounding.

Also I’ve seen many high end breeders in the us not breed females until 2 years old. Regardless of weight. Ae one of them.

2 Likes

And I know many that stick to 40+. I am not going to sit and split hairs here. I’ve even seen many articles that say 38-40 is okay. I do not agree with that low. Although that is improvement from years ago thankfully. 40 or more is better depending on the gecko. I have seen some very healthy adults 3+ years old, with good calcium sacks that barely make the weight cut. They would be obese if they were 55+ which is also not good for their health or reproduction.

And again, minimum of 1 1/2 years. I agree that more is better. I personally don’t breed till 2.

But again these are all statistics I’ve noticed here in the US from research and talking to others at reptile expos.

Also too I feel like many don’t talk about the fact that some geckos are much larger then others. I have a massive female. And I also have a very petite female. Both around the same age, great health, grew up on the same diet. But if I held them to the same standards the ideals would be skewed. Ya know?

I also feel like many aren’t talking about obese geckos as much as they should. Obesity shortens lifespans and can hinder the ability to reproduce. It’s not as detrimental as an under developed gecko laying eggs. But it’s still not good either :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Oh they for sure do talk about sizes.
If you look on our other threads you’ll see a lot of us mention out smaller girls. We have one over 2 1/2 and she’s not up to weight yet so she won’t breed until she is.
I’ve also had females at 60+ Healthy and they weren’t obese. In fact big mama here and a couple others are over 50.
I have seen others that size that clearly look overweight.

At the end of the day, you do you.

But I don’t feel it’s ok to say people can breed lower at all, we on here have helped many with breeding and really done want people seeing 49 as ok when I myself and others I know had issues. They loose weight when laying and if you get a funny female that won’t each much when breeding which some do you will have issues as they’ll be under 40 with laying.
I’ve had a female at 40 become egg bound. She was 50+ and lost weight when breeding, she was brill before breeding. But she wouldn’t eat, and It did her no good as she became egg bound and then grew a second clutch and didn’t make it.

So females 40 imo is a no. They’ll go under with laying and issues can happen.