33% het, who else keeps track?

Honestly divided topics discussed respectfully and intelligently are some of the most fun and educating conversations to have :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I am late to the show on this one. And it looks like it has been beaten to death from both sides.
When you remove the numbers and marketing, it all come down to knowing and documenting what you have, and passing this info along with each animal.

I personally want to know any possibly of any gene. So I may have a goal i don’t want it to goi sideways with something unknown. If I have no specific goal or keeping as a pet, then I really won’t care. So long as I keep it and not sell or breed it.

I truly believe that any gene mixed in should be documented as you never know what will happen to it 5, 10, 20, 30,… Years down the road.

How can you truly say what you have or what new gene has been created when you have no idea exactly what you had to begin with.

X+y=z, someone else tries it and does not get the z. Later it turns out that the original x had something not documented or a low % that no one cared to say anything. Now is it a new line, is it just a current line that was overlooked because of no documentation. X looks like β€œk” but there is no β€œq” so it can’t be, so it is new. But it really did have β€œq” so you have nothing new but now the market is selling it as new, but it is really just a cheap β€œk”.

The ball python industry is doomed if true documentation is not kept and passed down. We will end up with 1mill kinds just to find out years later it is really just 100 k. All because of poor or no documentation or β€œI made the next 1st” just to be recognized.

4 Likes

Basically this. I like accuracy. I dont think it should be used as a sell point or to raise the price, but if theres a chance it inherited a gene, its good to post the odds it may be lieing dormant in case the buyer wants to avoid a gene.

3 Likes