Help with sexing hatchling hognoses

I’ve recently hatched my first clutch of hognoses and I’m having much more trouble than I anticipated sexing these guys. Here’s the first two that I’m stuck on, I’ve used the scale counting method and gotten ~40 or more scales each time I’ve counted, suggesting both are male, but the shape isn’t quite male enough for me to be sure.

After looking at comparison pictures between male and female hognose tails for hours, I’m no closer to a conclusion. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2 Likes

I can see why you’d be uncertain about these two. The cloaca area looks wide enough for them to be female, but the tails are longer like a male. If you can’t tell by looking at them you can always try popping them. That’s what I do when I’m not sure. I’ve never done scale counting with hognose snakes.

Popping is pretty definitive once you get a feel for it. If you haven’t had any experience popping snakes before it’s best to have someone show you how to do it.

3 Likes

If you are ever in the area of an expo I attend, I always bring my probing kits and do also know how to pop them safely :slight_smile: I would not mind helping.

1 Like