Super Palmetto?

Hi. I’ve got a friend who’s pretty new to corn snakes. And he’s looking for a quick way to get into palmettos. He’s got a blizzard female and was asking me some questions. I told him if he bought a male palmetto he’d get babies het for Palmetto, or not visually except for a slight hypo look. But he found, and showed me, a bunch on MorphMarket being sold as “super” palmettos and according to the MM Calculator, their babies are 100% palmettos no matter what they are bred to. This is new to me. Am I missing something. I want to find out true facts on this so I can go back and tell him yay or nay before he buys it. Thanks

2 Likes

Basically MM is just catching up with the genetics, since Palmetto is an Incomplete Dominant morph. So a “Super Palmetto” is what was previously referred to as just Palmetto, the white snake with speckling. Single gene Palmettos are what used to be called “Het Palmetto” or those Hypo-ish snakes you speak of.

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s probably just me, but it seems misleading to refer to the non-wholly visual ones as palmetto. Seems they should refer to it as incomplete palmetto or something LOL. Anyway I’m letting my friend know that what I told him holds true. Again thanks.

1 Like

Honestly, I agree, as do others. It’s made much harder by the fact that the single-gene visual is easily masked by other morphs, making labeling offspring from a het to het pairing almost impossible at times. However, if this is how they want to list them officially in regards to the genetics, gotta go along with it I guess. Best of luck to your friend! I have one of the girls you produced, actually hoping to prove her out as single gene palmetto if she’s big enough next year.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That is exciting that she’s close to breeding age :slight_smile: . I was forced to dispose of almost all of my collection last year. I kept 3 corns and 2 bps. I hope to be able to get back into breeding next spring. I don’t have the room for the large collection I once had though so have to pick and choose my projects.

Please do post pictures if she gives you a clutch next year.

1 Like

I saw you sold most off, I hope life is at least a little more stable for you now. Sometimes scaling down allows to really focus on passion projects, hopefully your restart goes exceedingly well!

I will most definitely post if she does, I’m truly looking forward to breeding her to see what I get. She has got the single gene look. Here is a somewhat recent (May) photo of Sylvie herself:

3 Likes