Rattlesnake Relocation - I Can’t Stand Nylon Netting 😡

I rescue and relocate waaayyyyy too many snakes that are stuck in Nylon Netting whether it be exposed sod netting, bird netting, or deer netting.

If I ever take a rattlesnake bite, it will most likely be while I’m cutting one out of this garbage.

I always keep snakes that have been through this overnight and make sure they’re rested and hydrated before releasing them. By the time you get to the call, they’re usually pretty spent and ready to cooperate. This guy was an absolute gem about letting me help.

22 Likes

That’s terrible! Not that you saved it, that’s awesome, but I had no idea that netting caused so many problems for terrestrial snakes. I’ve always known the horrible issues about turtles and netting, especially in marine environments, but had no idea it is used so frequently on land to cause issues for other reptiles. I think there should be a public awareness campaign or info brought up. I live in Colorado near the mountains and so many people that live in the foothills(where the majority of our snakes live) use dear netting to protect there yards/trees. Dang I never knew about this, crazy!! Good work though, both with the snake and bringing attention to it!

8 Likes

Nylon netting and glue traps are the two most frustrating things I deal with relocating herps. Empty or partially empty water troughs are up there too. A public information campaign would be a great idea. Today definitely taught this homeowner a lesson.

8 Likes

When you say netting, like fishing net? I know fishing gear causes lots of problems for fish in oceans and lakes. Once i caught a trout by snagging tangled up tackle from a previous fisherman who obviously lost the catch. To took me a while to remove all the line and hook, how i happened to snag it is beyond me, i wasn’t actually trying to catch that fish because i saw tackle, it was fate, pure luck or whatever i let that fish go after i removed the tackle.

3 Likes

Bless you for helping them! Animals of all kinds are maimed or mortally wounded needlessly due to the irresponsibility of mankind on a daily basis!:cry:It’s very sad!

6 Likes

Any kind of small knit netting makes an effective trap for our slithery friends unfortunately.

6 Likes

Poor little guy. :frowning: He’s really beautiful though, so glad you were able to help him. That kind of netting causes problems for all kinds of wildlife, it’s really awful. They get tangled up in it so easily, and since the nylon is so strong, there’s no way they can break free.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say you do Important work.

1 Like