Sick Snake Please Help

I just got this ball python from someone who wanted me to breed but seems she has something going on, can I help her or does she need a vet? I was told it was a burn injury from heat lamp, but holding the mouth open makes me wonder of mouth rot or respiratory infection?

She definitely isn’t right…but I don’t know what’s wrong.

What I do know is she should not be in the room with all of those other animals until it’s determined she doesn’t have something that can be transmitted to them.
Personally I quarantine all new animals in a different room entirely for at least 90 days before they are anywhere near my regular group.

10 Likes

I’m thinking mouth rot and/or respiratory infection. I’d schedule a vet appointment and make sure this snake is appropriately quarantined in a separate room for 3-6 months

14 Likes

Definitely scheduled a vet visit.
Does she keep her mouth open all the time?
Any sounds when breathing?
Eating at all, and any problems if so?
Looking at it closer, i can see what might be a burn mark on the side of the mouth, top and bottom (the white marks). Even if just a burn, it still needs looked at.

8 Likes

All of the edema around the face can be a sign of so many things though.

Rat bite infection/abscess
Mouth rot
Burn
RI
???
So yeah… No idea what’s wrong. Needs to be out of that room. And yes. Vet check immediately. Especially since she had been in the same area as op’s other animals. If she was in a rack with any of them I would consider immediately sterilizing it and possibly isolating the closest animals if space allows it. At the very least put them on watch.

It’s surprising to me that the owner turned her over for breeding thinking this was okay and that op was okay with bringing a new snake around others without quarantine.

7 Likes

This is definitely not a burn. Like everyone else, take to vet and get ready to give her meds.

2 Likes

Could have started out as a burn I guess, but burns take serious treatment to prevent infections. Especially near the mouth where bacteria can live even easier. If the owner never took it to the vet to get this treated with follow ups there’s a good chance there’s more problems now.

2 Likes

yeah, I don’t know a lot about ball pythons I recommend taking him to the vet ASAP.

1 Like

A burn would be more evident on the neck as well. That’s why I’m saying it’s not a burn.

In reality, looking more at the photo instead of just a few seconds I’d actually say it’s an infection from a broken tooth. Or perhaps a tooth that is dislocated and broken, but still stuck inside. The right side of the mouth being more swollen than the left is making me lean towards a tooth issue.

4 Likes

Maybe… But the lip has some damage on the less swollen side down by the jaw. It’s a lot going on.

1 Like

I’m just saying that even giving the benefit of the doubt on the owner’s story about a burn, it’s not the end of the story. The owner should have taken this snake to the vet a long time ago.

7 Likes

Thank you all for the advice I greatly appreciate it, I have the snake out of the room & quarantined, I hope I haven’t spread it to any of my others by bringing her into the snake room :disappointed_relieved:, I am calling to schedule a vet Check & update once I’ve learned more, again many thanks…

5 Likes

Back from vet, She was prescribed antibiotics for the next 10 days, every 48hrs & said definitely a burn & could have caused the respiratory infection, she couldn’t confirm 100% but says husbandry could have also played a part…. But I have her quarantined & going to watch my others closely to be sure that none have contracted it, thanks for the advice & input

7 Likes

Definitely a respiratory infection and mouth & nose burns

4 Likes

Glad to hear you have a definite answer and on the way to recovery. If it was me, i would not be breeding this one this year. Let it recover and rest fir a while.

7 Likes

Has anyone explained basic biosecurity? Be sure to handle her last, wash/disinfect inbetween handling her and other snakes, use separate tools for her until she is healthy again. I would also ask for a Nido test, either from our vet or get one from FishHead labs, because that virus is so common and can sometimes manifest in respiratory symptoms. Animals can harbor the virus asymptomatically, so even 90 days might not catch it and since she’s higher risk of carrying something, I’d test her. Poor babe, I hope she makes a full recovery.

3 Likes

I feel so bad for this poor little snake! Her little mouth looks like it is blistered from the burn. I am glad you took her to a vet because I would think she is probably in pain. I am grateful she is in your hands and you have gotten her much needed medical attention!:snake::+1::wink:

2 Likes

Just wanted to give an update on the girl with RI and mouth burns… She has made a full recovery and we named her Nonni…

10 Likes

That is great news. Thanks for the update

4 Likes

That’s wonderful news!

3 Likes