Madagascar Ground Boa - Adult Female

This big girl just arrived at West Ridge Reptiles, on breeding loan from Trey Moore. She is an exceptional specimen with bright red color on the head and neck (that doesn’t really seem to show up in photos). I’m super excited to possibly produce this rare species for the first time this year. We have two males to pair with her, one also owned by Trey Moore and another from the West Ridge collection (“Pan”). I’ve been told that female Madagascar Ground Boas should be paired with multiple males for best results.

29 Likes

Beautiful boa! Those colors are amazing. Good luck with the pairings and look forward to seeing the little ones!

8 Likes

I really do love the red phase of this species of ground boa! Wish you luck! Update with baby pics if you get some please!

7 Likes

Ive always wanted one of these

8 Likes

She’s beautiful. Best of luck with producing more!

5 Likes

Cannot wait to see what she produces, her red tones are amazing!

4 Likes

How beautiful! I heard of these a few months ago and added them to my bucket list. Is care similar to Dumeril’s Boas? They’re in the same genus and live in similar habitats so I’d assume so.

5 Likes

The care is identical to Dumeril’s Boas. They average a little larger but not enough to make a difference with cage size. The main difference is in temperament. Dumeril’s seem to be very calm across the board, while MGBs can be a little more flighty when out. For that reason, MGBs can be difficult to photograph when you are alone because they won’t sit in one spot. I was lucky enough to have someone with me to take this photo while I held her.

8 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous. I wish every possibly inch of luck! They are a magnificent species that would be great if more readily available to both the public and private people. Especially if they are anything like Dumerils personality wise !

5 Likes

Ditto to all of the well :two_hearts: wishes! She is amazing; we will be following :star_struck:

6 Likes

I’ve really been wanting to add a pair of these to my collection. That is an amazing example of MGB, for sure!:wink:

5 Likes

I’ve NEVER heard of this species before, what a gorgeous girl!
Dang, now my search for my perfect big boa becomes more complicated :joy:

1 Like

This younger female, “Stackette,” is a permanent resident at WRR. We look forward to breeding her when she is an adult (she’s a 2020).

5 Likes

Very pretty, I love the dark tones but especially like the way the red creeps into the side pattern!

2 Likes