Night lighting for gargoyle geckos

Greetings,

I would like to use a red heat bulb for my gargoyle gecko. I’ve seen a few things from various people that say the red bulb is bothering their geckos, and can disturb their day & night light cycle. Ive also seen some say that it can damaged their eyes.

So my question is, is that accurate and/ or do those statements have some validity to them?
Has anyone else experienced this personally?
Also if red light is an issue what color light should I go with, I’ve heard purple is a good option.

I have the ceramic ones already. But, I’d like something that gives off light so I can check in without disturbing them. Plus it’s not like there isn’t light from the moon when they’re in the wild, so a small amount should help them while hunting for bugs at night with the added benefit of allowing me to see them.

Red or black are fine your main concern with any rhack species is that you want to be mindful of the tempertures your gecko may be suggested to, while they tolerate temps a little higher than crested high temperatures will still stress a gargoyle and can lead to death.

1 Like

If you just want a bit of light to help you see the animal, have you considered a faint LED to illuminate the area? How many enclosures would you like to light up? I have even see people use “fairy lights” (christmas tree lights, but smaller and white/yellow) to illuminate rooms and it looks very nice.

1 Like

The issue with that is that LED would mess with the light cycle of the gecko itself, making them think it is daylight instead of night time and gargoyles are nocturnal animals.

This is why red or blue light are recommended for night time time viewing as it does not interfere with the animal day/night cycle.

With the bright LED strips, yes, but would the small flecks of light still stimulate a day response?

I have considered a dim led, I was going to put a very dim night light of some sort, which should just mimic the moon. But I wanted to know if others have tried this, and weather or not they noticed any stress to the animal.

Is blue recommend for night? I thought that mimics the day light, and most of the blues I’ve seen say they’re day light replacements?
In response to your other reply, i’m not worried about the heat, it’s generally 70 degrees in my room now that winter is approaching and drops pretty significantly at night. I just want a viewing light color that’s not going to interfere with their night cycle or cause them stress.

Sorry I meant black not sure why I wrote blue, you will want to watch your wattage to make sure it is not something to high, and it will help you raise the temps a little this winter.

3 Likes