Breeding Plans & Offspring Groups

Hi there, I have been using offspring groups and I just started using breeding plans as well. I have noticed that I cannot assign an already existing offspring group to a pair created using breeding plans. I.e. I have a pair of crested geckos that started laying eggs back in December so I created offspring groups for the clutches.

Once breeding plans became available I added the parents as a pair, but there is no option to assign the already created offspring groups to them, just the option to create new offspring groups. I would like an option to assign offspring groups that have been already created to a pair in addition to creating new ones if that can be done.

7 Likes

Adding that I have not tried this in the app, just on the desktop site. I did try entering Group IDs for the offspring groups that already exist but is says I can’t choose it precisely because it already exists.

3 Likes

Should i just delete the groups and start over?

1 Like

Ok, I guess I start over from scratch on the offspring groups, which is really frustrating. I don’t get it. Usually someone responds, but it’s been 2 weeks. Kinda surprised really. I suppose this is just something i will have to figure out on my own.

1 Like

Sorry no one got back to you right away. While I’m not staff, my guess for why you can’t add the existing offspring groups to breeding plans is because, well, they’re breedings you’re planning in the future, not ones you’ve already done. You can’t plan offspring that already exist.

That said, @eaglereptiles Any chance we could add a breeding history for pairs in breeding plans to show past clutches?

2 Likes

How I missed this I will never know.

But yes Jess is on the right track here. There is no way to add previous years breeding history. You can only move forward.

This may change in the future, but right now we want to get it full of useful features and be sure everything runs smoothly :blush:

3 Likes

It’s not for the previous year’s breeding, it’s for this year, eggs that have been laid and are incubating right now… I created the offspring groups as eggs were being laid this year before the breeding plans feature was even released. That’s why I wanted to add them. I did NOT want to add last year’s breeding results, that makes literally no sense! It’s almost like no one read the topic post…

I’m sorry, I’m just really frustrated. And to be honest, I’m probably not even going to use breeding plans as I don’t see any real benefit. I was really looking forward to a feature like that but it is so far I’m extremely unimpressed, and now quite disappointed that I have to delete the offspring groups and re-make them all over again.

There’s no reason to be rude, frustrated or not. I was doing my best to try to get your question answered.

I read your post, I’m sure so did Thomas, and it doesn’t matter if it’s the previous year or this year, what you’re not getting is that breeding plans are for animals that haven’t yet been bred. The very definition of plan is “an intention or decision about what one is going to do” not what you’ve already done. What you’re asking in itself is nonsensical.

You can be frustrated, but you’re taking it out on the wrong people for the wrong reasons. You were informed that Breeding Plans are only for pairings made after the feature was introduced and right now there is no plan to add previous clutches, which answered your original question.

3 Likes

I was explaining while emphasizing what y’all missed. I’m not trying to be rude, there is no need to tone-police or be rude and insulting to me. I mean, no one even looked at this thread for over half a month, I feel like I was quite restrained in that last post. But so very sorry if you got offended.

I do get what you and him are saying and am already in the process of deleting the breeding pairs etc. for this year because it’s simply not useful for me.

I was intending to apologize, and I have flagged my own post for the mods to do with what they please, but I will no longer, and I suggest you reread your post and how you directly implied those of us who replied were being willfully ignorant to understand why I responded in the way I did. The sarcasm and passive aggression are also not appreciated.

As for no one looking at your post for two weeks, this is a public forum and not everyone is capable of answering your question. On top of that, the staff here have other jobs, most are volunteers, and are not online 24/7, so they can miss things. No one ignored you on purpose, the forum just happens to be active and sometimes threads get buried. A suggestion for the future is tagging or messaging staff directly if you don’t receive a prompt response.

4 Likes

@gwengecko, you will have to create a new offspring groups because they parents were just added as a pair. That is the only way I see it working on my end. I’ll be the first to admit when I first saw this thread, I did not know a lot about our breeding groups and offspring groups functions worked, so I did go out and look at how things are displayed on the mobile site and working through it and I just got caught up with work and doing medical school and completely forgot about this. I am sorry and really hope it wasn’t so much of an inconvenience as it probably was. So like I said, now, you can add offspring groups to that pair, if what I’m seeing is what you’re asking @gwengecko.

3 Likes

Lets try this again, maybe were not following each others wording…

This is what I’m getting…

You can make breeding plans for this year, just not last year… which…

… these animals were paired in 2022

These groups take 5/10 minutes to create at most… we did Ozzy Boids whole collection and breeding plans of hundreds of animals in an hour or so…

I can help you do this and show you the quickest ways to blast through each step?

3 Likes

I already deleted the pairs. Breeding seasons don’t run January - December for everyone, mine started in December. I think that should be considered when making these kind of time-restricted features, maybe it would be better for users to decide when breeding seasons are for themselves? Anyway, I do not plan to use the feature this year. Apologies again for the frustration, feel free to delete this thread.