Recessive leucistic in texas rat snakes

Gene Request Form

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Facts

Species: Elaphe obsoleta lindheimeri (texas rat snake)
Name of Gene: Leucistic
First produced by whom:
Year First Produced:
Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc): simple recessive
In complex with other genes?: none
Other names/aliases for it?: BEL, blue eyed leucistic
Description: Solid white from head to tail with grey eyes that have black pupils.

Appearance; What it does/looks like?

• Head: white with blue/grey eyes
  • Body: white
  • Belly: white
  • Tail: white

Proven Lines:
Related Genes:

Proven: It is proven to be simple recessive.
Unique: While super rusty from black rat snake stock exists in the morph catalogue, this gene is completely recessive and originates from texas rat snake stock.

Problems: Enlarged or bug eyes, as seen in many other leucistic morphs.
History: The history behind its discovery?
Disagreement or Controversy: None
References here on the community: I couldn’t find any topics on leucistic texas rat snakes in the community, but this gene has been around for ages and it’s pretty widely accepted everywhere.

Please attach at least 3 photos you have rights to which you are granting to be used on MorphMarket, Including 1 image next to a Normal/WT animal

Getting 2 angry, wiggly animals in 1 photo is no easy task so I unfortunately only have individuals for this.

Yearling leucistic

2 year old leucistic

Adult leucistic

Adult leucistic

Yearling 100% het leucistic showing typical wild type coloration. Sibling to pic #1

If anyone has the information I left blank please feel free to chime in. The gene has existed for so long that it’s hard to find any origin data.

4 Likes