Help with corn snake morph identification

Hey Everyone, I just acquired this corn locally, and was only told that she might be a hybrid between a corn and rat snake, however I do not have much experience with either species and cannot find similar snakes on the web. I unfortunately do not have any other info on her. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Mike

4 Likes

Looks like a hybrid of some sort to me. I want to say yellow rat x corn snake hybrid. @noodlehaus Jess can you please come and correct me please

3 Likes

That animal is awesome looking! Congratulations! :pray::+1:

3 Likes

Can we get some additional pics from top down, the belly, and the eye? Might be a hybrid, might be a diffused caramel. Looks similar to one @caryl has.

4 Likes

Like @solarserpents said, we’re going to need more photos. Preferably taken in the shade as opposed to direct sunlight. He also looks like he could be slightly overweight, though it could also be the sun reflecting off the light edges of the scales, which makes it harder to see the overall pattern.

1 Like

Oooh, pretty! How old is the snake? When you say

who told you this? Was it someone with knowledge of the snake’s breeding, or someone guessing, or what?

Yes to needing more pics, in indirect, natural lighting. A cloudy day is ideal if you can scare up one of those. Also yes to this possibly being a Diffused Caramel. Here pics will help with determining that. Here are two pics of my Artephius, then two of his daughter Victory as adults (she has a new owner now), as well as one v of Basilius, currently a yearling son of Artephius. These are corn snakes, not hybrids. They have a metallic look, courtesy of their Upper Keys heritage. Lighting makes a huge difference.

3 Likes

Here are some more photos without sun. The person I acquired them didn’t have much knowledge of the species either. And yes, he is overweight. I am working to get his weight down since I’ve had him.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you’re aware and have him on a diet, he’s a beautiful boy and in capable hands! With those colors and that belly I’d definitely say Diffused Caramel, @caryl would know best, I think.

4 Likes

Thanks you for letting me know. Would you day Diffused Caramel 100%

3 Likes

Looking at the new pics, yes, your snake looks like a Diffused Caramel to me. I’m guessing yours comes from some of the same bloodlines as my Diffused Caramels. It’s a different look from many other lines.

Makes sense that they weren’t sure what they were seeing here, then. These Diffuse Caramels don’t look like what many expect of a corn snake. I’ve even had Artephius compare to a woma python. Heck, there have to be thousands and thousands of varying expressions of corns’ possible appearance. Genetics, sexual dimorphism in some traits, line breeding, individual variation. None of us have seen it all.

Keep us in the loop with your pretty new snake. By the way, does she have a name?

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. No name yet, but am thinking about a good name. Open to suggestions haha

3 Likes

Hmmm. A lot of my Caramels have magic-themed names. Gudrun or Orenda perhaps?

2 Likes

She looks like a Gertrude to me

2 Likes