Crested Gecko Color

I was wondering at what age does a crested gecko stop developing color. It’s so hard to pick from juveniles because their color hasn’t really developed yet. Also how does someone tell the difference between a Lily white and a high cream crestie? Thanks in advance for your responses :heart:

They generally change color up until they reach about about a year of age and with some animals it can be pretty drastic (well excluding the fire up and fire down phase)

1 Like

For most cresteds you can look at the parents. Breeders worth their salt should be able to give you an idea of what color they will become.

As for Lilly whites, spend a lot of time looking at lilly white adults and confirmed babies vs high cream and non lilly white babies. To me I dont see how anyone can confuse the two.

Both questions can be answered roughly by developing an eye. You just need to spend a bit of time looking at photos of geckos’ progression pics. There are enough generations now that you can usually find baby pics of popular adults. Then spend time looking at individual morphs. Babies, juvies, adults. But look for specific colors or pattern so you have a goal. Again this takes time. But it was always a fun thing to do pushes up nerd glasses for me. Esp when I’m on a lineage hunt.

1 Like

Thank you guys

Some cresteds are slow growers and don’t reach maturity until they are about three. So they COULD still change color during that time, although I agree with the other poster, that usually by one year you can tell what their adult color is going to be.

Lily whites are not just visually different. They are genetically different. You can read about Lily Whites here: http://www.lillyexotics.co.uk/care