Dark wonder gene

Hi guys. I recently purchased a “new gene” project to start working. It seems to be a very dark recessive gene like Dark Wonder. It may peobe out to be Dark Wonder at the end of the day but we will have to go through all the proof breeding to determine this. Can the guys working with the Dark Wonder gene please share the following info with us inclusing pictures if possible?
Genetic interations with thw following:

1. Fire complex
  2. Butter/lesser complex
  3. Clown - het & visual
  4. pied - het & visual
  5. Spotnose complex

Many thanks

2 Likes

That would be interesting if it was. From what I see the original breeder had sold off a few in 2017 and that’s all on MorphMarket that sold under ‘dark wonder’. I wouldn’t know who is still working with the gene since no one has stepped up to make a submission here for the gene either.

The closest gene I can think of people working with at the moment is black axanthic…
But if this does end up being a dark wonder then that would be pretty neat to see how that project goes.

2 Likes

I have never heard of the “Dark Wonder”

Is it possible it was tied up with the whole “RedBall” fiasco and that is why it was never heard from again???

3 Likes

But the breeder actually sold the dinker female Dark Wonder on MorphMarket. Look at the sold animals with the keyword Dark Wonder. You get 5 hits from Joshua Jackson. Along with this original female being sold here and this background:

I have had this project for a while, but life has significantly slowed down my ability of trying to determine the genetics behind this snake. Hopefully someone else will have the time, luck and resources to figure it out.

History: A pair of “Dark Wonders” showed up in one of my clutches in 2010 of a Black Pastel crossed with a normal female. Unfortunately the male died in late 2012, before I could breed the pair together. I thought I had determined that it was a simple recessive trait when I crossed the Dark Wonder female back to the Black Pastel father and produced the “Black Pastel Dark Wonder”. But on the subsequent 2 clutches of not producing any Dark Wonders, I now wonder whether I just missed on the odds or if multiple genes are involved. That brings us up to date on the project.

3 Likes

I suspect this didn’t prove out as genetic. The other animals he posted as being Dark Wonder just look like Black Pastel and Normals with a little color and pattern variance. I think he was just seeing poly genetic influence from the original DW animal in the offspring. If anyone had reproduced anything that looks like that founder animal in recent times, we would have heard about it ,because the price tag would be impressive.

4 Likes

Definitely looks that way. Or the new owners also just weren’t sure on how to further that project attempt. Especially since people in the BP game are more into reproducible genetics and not long term polygenic projects. It’s a shame that the original male passed because if it was a polymorphic trait it looks great. I wonder how the offspring would have looked then.

The original female is an awesome looking girl though regardless.

3 Likes

It reminds me of dark phase animals. They pop up quite often in TSK, but haven’t been able to be reproduced reliably. I suspect dark phase is polygenic

4 Likes

Its definitely a thing. What the thing is……nobody really knows yet.