Where to find reliable information

Ok. I am getting my first ball python next week. He is a baby that I ordered off of the market, a banana pastel. Here is my question, there is so much conflicting information about snake husbandry online - how do I know who to trust - what are the most reliable websites? What are the best tips on what to do after I get my python? I am including a picture of my set up. Any suggestions would be amazing. Thanks!!

Here is a good place to start for all the general info you need to at least get started.

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/python-regius/care-sheet/

Yes everyone has their own opinions on many aspects of care but if you follow this care sheet you’ll be off to a great start.

Your setup looks so cool! One thing you may want to consider is they like their hides to be small, so for a baby he might feel more secure in a smaller hide until he can grow into your awesome rock cave.

1 Like

This is what I send to all my customers and the grand rules I have been recommending for over a decade to people when troubleshooting their issues.

7 Likes

This is excellent information, thank you so much!

Do you recommend feeding him in his cage or having a separate feeding enclosure? I have heard both and I would like to hear thoughts on this?

In his cage.

I have no idea where that comes from…I’m assuming it’s either just a myth or good with other species so people just assume. Deb?

1 Like

People who feed outside the cage often do so because of a persistant myth, making them believe that feeding in the cage will lead to cage aggression which is false.

With this species feeding outside the cage can lead to stress which in turn lead to refusal.

Additionally moving an animal in feed mode which can start hours before feeding and continue hours after feeding is the best way to get tagged.

3 Likes

Awesome, that is good to know, I have a corn snake and we’ve always fed him in his enclosure so I wasn’t sure why it would be different with a ball python, so I am relieved to find out that it is just a myth. Seriously, you guys have been so helpful. I am so nervous and excited to get my little guy. I know I have to not handle him for a good week after I get him and that is going to be the hardest part! You two are seriously brilliant for helping out this python noob, I really appreciate it!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a noob too I’m just a level 2 noob, I’m 7 months in :slight_smile: Welcome aboard!

1 Like

@jkemp3119 As you can see never be afraid to ask questions about something you aren’t entirely sure on or just don’t know. Everyone here is very friendly and a majority of the BP pros are on here as well (like Deb) and don’t mind sharing knowledge. :smiley:

I can’t wait to see pics of your little noodle. My first bp was a banana as well! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@annakirby I am so glad to have found a place that isn’t super judgmental, really helps to be able to ask questions without feeling like an idiot!:smile:

Oh, I will definitely be updating with some pics when I get him! At least a few, though I’m sure I’ll be taking a ton!

3 Likes

Set up looks great mate

One thing I would say is putting a second hide on the cool side of enclosure so you snake can feel safe and secure when he/she wants to be cool

2 Likes

He’s here!!! This is the final set up too, I added more plants and a few more hides. It’s going to be so hard to keep my hands off of him for a whole week! I’m so in love!:heart_eyes:! IMG_20191210_111226|666x500

3 Likes

2 Likes

Lookin good!

3 Likes