Bismarck Ringed Pythons

Anyone else work with Bismarck Ringed Pythons? I have a pair and wanted to see everyone else’s.

12 Likes

I’ve never even heard of them but damn do they look pretty. Almost like velvet.
What are they like?

2 Likes

I haven’t seen many of them. They are part of the Bothrochilus family AKA Nothern and Southern White Lipped Python. When they are young they are super bright orange with the dark rings, but they get darker with age, as you can see my female isn’t as orange as my male. Tom Keogan was known for breeding them and his line would stay orange even into mature adulthood. They are probably my favorite snakes, but it’s hard to find other people that have them. And they feel like velvet! Lol

5 Likes

I rarely see them and when I do, they cost like 5k even for a baby. They are lovely but I don’t think I will ever be able to afford one unless they start getting produced more. Maybe if I hit the lottery I will be able to. :joy:

2 Likes

Nowadays, when they are available, you might find babies for as little as $800.

I used to work with them, but I discontinued the project about a year and a half ago. I can’t seem to find any pics, unfortunately. I found them to be intelligent and active. My younger animals were very nervous but the older were fairly calm. All were good feeders. They require more space than you’d think for a modest-sized python. The one factor that makes their care more challenging is the serious humidity requirements, comparable to what you might need for a rainbow boa. I had animals from Keogan and Hamper lines, all classic ringed phase.

3 Likes

Yeah when I got these two before the price went up, I think the price skyrocketed because they stopped importing them.

3 Likes

I’m still new to it, I’ve had these two for over a year and I’ve read and studied as much as I could, but there isn’t a whole lot out there on them. Any advice to pass on?

4 Likes

They actually haven’t been imported for a pretty long time.
My tips:
Larger cage sizes
loose substrate
regular handling from a young age, as these have a tendency to be nervous in the hand

4 Likes

Thank you! I’ve already been handling them since I’ve had them, the female I’ve had to work harder with because she’s really skittish, but I’ve gotten the male to come up to me just by me placing my hand in there. It’s a cool experience!

3 Likes

Also, you probably already know this, but a humid hide is an absolute necessity for this species, all the time, not just when shedding. If you ever have any specific questions about this species, feel free to reach out to me, because I did a lot of research on them. I kind of miss those guys, they were cool.

3 Likes

Yes, I do everything I can to keep them humid, thank you so much! :smile:

2 Likes

I have a trio that are all about 4ft now. I’ll try to snap some pics.

4 Likes

That would be great!

2 Likes

1 poor pic, all 3 are about the same size.

9 Likes

That one is holding color very well for its size. Nice specimen.

2 Likes

Looks beautiful!

2 Likes

All 3 of mine are from Tom Keogen, and seem to be keeping nice sharp lines. Very jumpy.

3 Likes

My male is from Tom Koegan, I am unsure about my female. You have some beautiful snakes right there.

2 Likes

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Bismarck-Ringed-Python-Care-Sheet/

2 Likes

There’s a group on FB that people have been posting to with their hatchlings, you can look Into them, you aren’t technically allowed to ask people on here if they have any available, it’s against the community rules. The group on FB is ran by Tom Keogan and it’s called Bismarck Ringed Pythons

2 Likes