Odd Question: who controls the locks?

I have 2 pairs of snakes, pair one locked for 9 hours and same male different female locked for 23 hours (this was days later, not back to back :sweat_smile:). The true male for the second female has now been locked for 19 hours and counting. Who controls how long they are locked, the male? Female? Both? I just noticed the difference in time so got curious lol

Alsoā€¦does size matter when it comes to hemi-peens? Can a male hatchling be ā€œhungā€ thus increasing their future breeding effectiveness?

I would ask my females if they have a preference but theyā€™re all underage :frowning:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the size of the hemi-peen that matters, itā€™s how they use it :joy:

@bluefeathurs I believe the males control it, as they use their usually larger spurs to grip onto the females back. I donā€™t know if this is true but itā€™s definitely something Iā€™ve read.

Iā€™d take Westridges thoughts on it over mine though.

2 Likes

I should have guessed :wink:

1 Like

At least thatā€™s what the wife tells me when the snakes outā€¦ And thatā€™s how you get yourself removed from a thread :joy:

1 Like

Females definitely have some degree of control, in that they can end it when they want to. Iā€™ve seen females pull away from a male when disturbed by me opening the drawer. Iā€™ve been told by at least two people that they had a male become injured this way.

3 Likes

Ignoring the pervs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::rofl:. @westridge , I kinda thought they had the ā€œnoā€ control since there isnā€™t always a lock even with great breeding males, just didnā€™t know what dictated how long the actual lock is

@bluefeathurs

NOTICE ME :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Personally, I believe lock duration, frequency, and initiation are all up to the female. My ā€˜evidenceā€™: twice Iā€™ve seen males (once with a BI, once with a BP) be ā€˜over-extendedā€™ when a female was done and the male didnā€™t ā€˜quitā€™ in time:
IMG_20180101_183617

1 Like

Dang! That doesnā€™t look good at all! Does he get better with time or does he need to be treated?

Iā€™ve also seen a few of pet quality bp males being sold for alot cheaper because their hemipenes get ripped off accidentally by the female. So yeah if anyone has the most control Iā€™d say the female does in most cases.

1 Like

How interesting :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I had no idea that was even possible!! Thatā€™s wild!

2 Likes

The females saying ā€œIf you donā€™t pull out I am taking it with me!ā€ :joy:

5 Likes

@bluefeathurs yes and no. We helped him relax and retract from this one (sugar water and ice :+1:), gave him some time off to recover, and then she did it to him again while we were out of town :thinking:. Now heā€™s a pet only :roll_eyes:.

3 Likes

Yeah there is also a male dreamsicle on MM being sold for less than 1k because he got them ripped off accidentally. If he had his hemipenes heā€™d be worth a few grandā€¦

Thatā€™s crazy! I figured they had some control but not that much!

@bluefeathurs from a biological stand point, females are pretty much always the proverbial ā€˜gate keepersā€™ of reproduction. They bear the greatest risk so they (typically) have the most control. Makes sense to me :+1:

1 Like

@alpinereptiles that makes a lot of sense to me!

1 Like