New snake acting... Off

A new sand boa baby arrived to us today. Body condition wise she’s perfect. But I’m concerned about the amount of lethargy she was displaying as I got her out and inspected her. I’ve dealt with young Sands before and usually they are a good bit more squirmy and wanting to burrow immediately. This one, while able to hold herself decently when being held and let to “dangle” a bit (not a limp noodle), had some odd halfway jerking upwards head movements and otherwise didn’t really respond to touch other than squirming the area being touched to avoid it.

She drank a good bit of water when offered and the Temps today were consistently 85f. On top of that she also arrived to me 2 hours later than projected because of a mix up with FedEx.

Could it be that she’s dehydrated and got overheated today while in transit? She otherwise seemed healthy and responsive (looking around, following my movement with eyes).

Picture Tax:

1 Like

The jerking movements are a common defense mechanism in sand boas. It is not unusual for snakes to be lethargic after shipping. Leave her alone for a week and then reevaluate. Also, your temps are on the low side.

1 Like

I think they were saying the outside temps were 85°F. Could be wrong though.

Yeah shipping Temps were at least 85f. Possibly higher in the back of the truck/van she was in. Her Hotspot temp is at 90f just as the rest of my sand boas.

I know the drill on a new snake. No contact for at least a week and then can do small handling sessions but only if they eat.

Guess I’ve never had one be defensive before. Usually they just wanna dig through fingers and such.