9 eggs 9 bananas 🤔

The tubs don’t need holes but they shouldn’t be air tight either. Here is a pic of tubs I use. They can all be in the same tub. They will pile up in the corner regardless of tub size. If you have a larger tub you can use like the one in the pic, that will handle the larger clutch size. Just use a spray bottle and mist them every other day or so. Also, you will want to change out the paper towel along the way as it will get pretty funky with 9 babies urinating and it will take about 7 to 12 days for them all to shed.

1 Like

These are the babies !

9 Likes

So mommy had the gene on an x, and daddy is a malemaker and has the gene on the y. All of them are at least banana/coral glow, and you have several supers in there. All of the supers should be male, some of the single genes will be male, all of the females should be single genes. Congratulations, they look great!

1 Like

I guess theoretically it could also be, mommy has the gene on the x and daddy is a female maker and also has it on the x. You could still get both single and super expression, but only the females would have the gene so you would have to have an all girl clutch, which might be pushing it. :thinking:

Most single gene banana/coral glow males I’ve seen for sale were malemakers with the gene on the y.

1 Like

Not necessarily true. If the crossover event occurred in the male during gamete formation then it is possible for him to throw the rare female Banana and, in the same way, female SuperBanana

2 Likes

True, hence the qualifications in both statements, but the presence of the gene in all the offspring seems to stretch the odds. It seems to me, from what people report, that the crossover event, while not super rare, is not terribly common. I just feel like it might be asking abit much to have that be the answer when the whole clutch displays the gene.

I absolutely agree with you that crossover could be happening. We know it does. I just feel like it’s a lot more likely that the situation is the gene is present on the x from mom and on the y from dad, and that the supers will be all males. If there is a super female, obviously crossover happened, which would be cool.

What’s even more puzzling to me is where are the normal females? Shouldn’t, statistically, about 25% of the offspring be wild type x from mommy and wild type x from dad producing a normal female? Or, I guess, wild type males if dad is a female maker, which should be 50%, right? :thinking:

From the numbers I have been collecting over the last decade-ish or so, it is shakes out to about an 8% frequency rate

Here is the thing about probability, sometimes the odds just fall in really weird “improbable” areas. Take two of my clutches this season:

Albino Acid x BlkPastel Cypress Woma het Albino
Albino GStripe x RedStripe double het Candy GStripe

In both clutches I should have seen 50% visual recessive and 50% het

In the first clutch, I got all Albinos. In the second clutch I got zero Albinos and one of three were GStripe
In the first clutch, 50% should have been Acid. I got 75% Acid
In the first clutch, 50% should have been BlkPastel. I got 100% BlkPastel
In the first clutch, 50% should have been Cypress. I got 100% Cypress
In the first clutch, 50% should have been Woma. I got zero Woma

In the second clutch, 50% should have been RedStripe. I got 100% RedStripe

Both of my clutches violated the statistical probabilities, but they are a minor snapshot of all clutches that contained those genes. If we looked at every visual Albino x het pairing that were bred this year, then we would see the 50/50 breakdown. Same for GStripe. Same for Acid, Same for etc., etc., etc.

And, ultimately, the aggregate for all the Banana/CG x Banana/CG pairings would show the expected 25/50/25 breakdown

3 Likes

True enough about weird odds. Got that myself this year with a lav albino x hetlav with 8 eggs, I got 7 females, 6 visual lav albino.

So I take your point about the snapshot of the over all odds, absolutely. I’ll admit, I still think Occam’s razor would be the bet here. Even though figuring out the many possibilities is really fun!

Great looking clutch, though. I love what cinnamon does in the banana/coral glow. I really like the way those darkening genes make the patterns pop. And they bring out cool freckle patterns too.

I’ve got super coral glow x bamboo het red axanthic going now. I’m trying to get that back to a super coral glow bamboo het red or red ax. I think that is going to look really neat as an adult. I’m hoping to get a stronger contrast from the red ax and a neat pattern from the bamboo.

3 Likes

Sometimes the odds are crazy and awesome.
I ended up with 4 BELs in a clutch where my odds were 50%. Mom passed lesser to every baby. They were all Males.

I agree with the comments above about the coral glow and banana being sex linked. What ended up happening is one is a male maker and the other most likely a female maker, or very lucky odds.
The paler babies of the clutch are most likely going to be your supers.
The Super coral glow or banana don’t get the same amount of freckles as they get older. Some won’t freckle at all. But because you really can’t tell the genes apart (technically the same gene just different breeder lines) the best thing to do would be to label them as both. Or just let people know the parentage and I guess they’ll decide? hahah
Some people insist that you can tell differences in polygenic pattern traits… but that’s still not 100% now that they are outcrossed more.

1 Like

Those are awesome odds! Neither of the parents are Super Banana; the way to tell is that super banana’s don’t develop spots with age. You got lucky! An example I have is that my brother bred a het pied to a pied, 8 eggs. Statistically each egg had a 50% chance of being pied. But, all 8 were pieds. Super lucky odds and will probably never happen again, similar to what you had happen here. Awesome babies and awesome parents.

1 Like

Please stay tuned. I’d like some help identifying the genes once they shed any day now .

1 Like

Number them all, and get a few images of each in clear lighting of them on something dark I think would help :blush:

2 Likes

@ghoulishcresties @promise_reptiles @armiyana @t_h_wyman @erie-herps @ballornothing

Hi everyone so here are the pics of the babies. Baby #4 I’m not sure if male or female. When I pop it looks more like scent gland than a hemipene.
I need help identifying the genes. I also attached a pic of the #4 baby being popped to see if you can help sex it.

Can you help me identify them ? I added pics to this post

1 Like