Accidentally threw a wrench in my 2023 season šŸ˜¬

I hope eggs start showing up for you soon! Can only cross my fingers with Danger, heā€™s not the brightest boy, lol.

Celia has been started on her antibiotics, will keep everyone updated on how she does.

3 Likes

Well, after her first antibiotic, Celia is already seeming much calmer.

6 Likes

Lol me too! Victory is going for another season of having two prelay sheds, assuming sheā€™ll lay at all. She shed 24 April, shows no sign of laying. Today is day 10 post-shed for Aria, whoā€™s huge and has been prowling extensively for the past week. I donā€™t think sheā€™ll go much longer. Dazzler shed a couple days ago, Sunlight should shed soon. So I am still waiting. Sigh.

Best of luck to Danger, lol.

Thatā€™s excellent news!! I do hope that Celia is back to her sweet self and in good health very soon.

3 Likes

Goodness, got your hands full! Thanks for the well-wishes.

Bit of an update, just got a call back from the vet. Looks like weā€™ve got (forgive me if Iā€™m incorrect in any of these) but Proteus, Klebsiella, and Salmonella in her culture. Basically continue treatment, and hope it keeps everything in check long enough for her body to deal with the suture material.

5 Likes

Poor Celia. How is she feeling? Sheā€™s such a champ, Iā€™m really cheering for her to have a speedy recovery. Iknow youā€™ll take excellent care of your precious girl. What does the vet expect to happen about the suture material?

PS - Aria is finally laying, which is very exciting!!

3 Likes

She seems to be feeling less restless, sheā€™s not constantly trying to escape the enclosure now. Iā€™m sure sheā€™s entirely displeased to have me stabbing her every three days again. Vet is not sure what to expect, as there arenā€™t really any studies about the breakdown of dissolvable sutures in reptiles. The hope is the antibiotics kick the infection out long enough for her body to break down the remaining suture material. If that doesnā€™t happen, weā€™ll revisit the problem. Not ideal, but at least I like this clinic and theyā€™ve been pretty darn good with her.

Congrats! I hope everything goes smoothly and you end up with a lovely clutch of eggs and healthy mama.

4 Likes

Big update: CELIA ATE!!! Oh my gosh, I have been waiting for this because now I know sheā€™s headed in the right direction. Huge relief after everything.

As for everyone else, Iā€™m doing a bit of an experiment with Danger. Putting him in with a different female to test whether heā€™s infertile or just picky.

5 Likes

Hooray for Celia! Thatā€™s AWESOME!! :smiley: :confetti_ball: :tada:

4 Likes

Hopefully Danger is just in need of just the right girl. Iā€™ve seen mate preference with mine.

4 Likes

Iā€™m hoping this is it, but right now itā€™s looking like he may be sterile. He wants to breed, he makes the moves, he just doesnā€™t finish the job.

3 Likes

Alas. How old is Danger? Maybe next year heā€™ll get it all together. I think I recall that he is a ā€œyoungā€ 3YO, like a late season 2020 hatchling? Maybe heā€™s just a slow starter. I tried pairing Allstar last year as a 2yo. As you put succinctly put it, he made the moves, but nothing happened. This year, he figured it out pretty quickly and now has fertile eggs in incubation. Not that being 2yo is necessarily a deterrent to successfully siring a clutch, but it can be an extra challenge.

Even itā€™s its not an issue of youth or inexperience or even mate preference, he may just be too much of a gentleman to pursue a female whoā€™s not extremely cooperative. My Odin can be that way. For Odin, ā€œconvince meā€ means ā€œno.ā€ Maybe some combination of these factors accounts for Dangerā€™s predicament.

Of course, youā€™re right; infertile individuals exists in all species. Fingers crossed that Danger just needs the right set of circumstances to become a sire.

2 Likes

@caryl Danger is currently about five. Iā€™m really hoping itā€™s just a matter of not the right lady, but thus far heā€™ll get all lined up and everything and then justā€¦Nada. Iā€™ve got him in with Pineapple just to test the waters, though Iā€™ll likely put him in with Sylvestris as she hasnā€™t bred this season yet and see how that goes.

3 Likes

Oh Hurray for Celia!!

3 Likes

I do hope all goes well with Danger. Glad Celia and Pineapple and Azula are doing well!

2 Likes

When I checked on Celia tonight, something seemed off. She was even more swollen than she was when I first brought her to the vet a week ago. I picked her up, handled her a bit, and made a startling realization: she appears to be gravid. There are defined, egg shaped/sized lumps in the area between her two incisions.

Now, as far as I was aware, they were spaying her when they did her surgery a year ago. Either I massively misunderstood her surgery at that time, or someone missed something, because this was not supposed to be possible!!!

Suffice to say, there will be a frantic call to the vet in the morning to get this sorted out because Iā€™m gonna be livid if I was told she was spayed, she was charted as spayed, and yet somehow seemingly has eggs in her. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Yikes! For her sake, I hope youā€™re wrong! (But once youā€™ve felt gravid corns, itā€™s pretty hard to mistake it.)

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a couple of photos of her I took this evening. Theyā€™re not the best quality as sheā€™s very restless.

You may be able to see why Iā€™m suspecting it could be eggs. The sizing, the spacing, the firmnessā€¦I really hope Iā€™m wrong.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not familiar enough with medical issues or surgical recovery things in snakes to comment on whether itā€™s possibly something not egg-related. The even spacing really looks like eggs to me, but the lumps in general are more visible than what Iā€™d expect for a gravid corn. But if sheā€™s on the slender side or possibly other reasons, I could see them being extra visible. How does her body shape look in the lower two thirds? Does she have that ā€˜fat triangleā€™ look that gravid corns get?

3 Likes

Sheā€™s more on the slender side since her spay almost a year ago. The timing and look is exactly like it was when I brought her in when she was egg bound originally. She definitely has the teardrop-esque figure of a gravid corn, and the lumps are only between her surgical incisions (a.k.a. her reproductive tract area) but not down to her cloaca. Sheā€™s also in blue despite having shed when I was out of the country. The whole thing isnā€™t making sense.

4 Likes

Ugh. Poor Celia, sheā€™s one of those unfortunates who get the weird issues. This is as weird as it gets.

2 Likes