Advice on First Clutch: help!

I had my very first clutch 2 weeks ago. When they were laid for the first few days they looked fine but then they started to dimple and form ravines. I was told that it was Low Calcium. I just wanted to get 3rd, 4th and 5th opinions.

1 Like

subscribed

Calcium is not the reason why eggs dimple (calcium causes windows or uneaten/rough surfaces on eggs)

What causes eggs to start to dimple early is humidity.

Things such as holes in the egg tub (which is counter productive), opening your egg box to often, or too dry of a substrate are the source of dimples.

Of course if you are referring to what most refer as dimple, best would be to post a picture.

1 Like

When I first made this post I tried to upload 3 pictures, it won’t let me. Lol

1 Like

1 Like

Are those potatoes? Jk

1 Like

Lmao. I don’t think they look the same on the inside. :joy:

1 Like

What’s your lid situation for the tubs? What’s the ambient humidity in the incubator and in the room?

Looks like they are slightly dehydrating, but at this point you can still correct it and have them hatch perfectly healthy.

If you are in a low humidity ambient environment you might want to consider Press-n-Seal over the top of the tub. Just open the tub to air it out every 1 or 2 weeks until around day 48 or so when you can make holes for constant air exchange.

1 Like

Ambient air temps are at 88 degrees, I put press and seal over them last night and contemplated pouring more water in there. There is slight condensation up the sides. I contemplated moving them into a completely different tub but wasn’t sure wether or not I should move them. I have been opening them once a day for about 30 seconds to give them more air, I think that’s maybe where I’m going wrong. I also put two small holes in the press and seal on either side then put the lid back on the tub.

1 Like

This is my incubator set up, and the tub I’m using, though the holes are plugged up with the eggs.

1 Like

Try not opening the box for a week at a time and see if the eggs stabilize. The living snakes inside the eggs at this point are teeny tiny little things and they use up way less oxygen than you’d imagine.

I do my boxes similar to how you have yours set up now (except without the holes in the press-n-seal) and it works well for me. Just watch for condensation dripping onto any of the eggs or for signs of mold. Around day 48 usually when the eggs are starting to dimple on their own I’ll lift a small corner of the press-n-seal and keep the plastic lid on over it. Just make sure the eggs stay soft and supple by keeping the humidity after that and they should be good to go.

1 Like

I would not move them to a new tub either. If you do and they go bad you will have no idea if the move caused it or your original conditions.

1 Like

Thank you all for your advice, I’ll keep updating and how they are doing. Thank you!

3 Likes

Agree with everyone here. I would reduce ventilation to zero honestly, and only open the tub for air exchange every 1-2 weeks. Some lightly damp sphagnum moss over top or around the eggs could help them pop back out if you’re concerned. Good luck! I have some videos on my egg box setup on Youtube also if that might help anyone!

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll go check out your video! How can I find it?

2 Likes

So this is about a week after, I went ahead and put a damp paper towel on them, how long should I leave the paper towel on?

2 Likes

Sometimes eggs are just shaped funny or get misshapen early on? If they aren’t changing much I’d bet you’re doing alright. How are they since?

2 Likes

They are looking great! Thanks for checking in. They have stayed in the same way and the humidity has been staying steadying

4 Likes

Looking good! No change is good, til about ~2 weeks before hatching then expect some dimpling! I’m sure you know that! :wink:

2 Likes

UPDATE:
Cut the eggs today at 56.
2 Jolliff Tiger 100% Het Albino
3 Jolliff Tiger Albinos. Possibly supers. Better pics when I can! Lol

6 Likes