African fat tailed gecko egg problems

Okay sweet. So me Handling them from time to time is alright. And what do you think about me changing to carpet rather than the substrate? Is it bad idea since she’ll be laying more eggs? And I’ll be buying a scale but it needs to be grams correct? Also I’ll buy the heat thermometer :thermometer: whatever you called it lol I think I know what you meant, it’s the flimsy like paper kinda one right? Sorry for all the questions.

Handling is fine, I handle all my geckos every other day and they’re great about it, and it’s good for exercise and their muscles . The risks of a carpet are that they harbor bacteria and you have to change them out weekly and clean them so they don’t cause harm. Did she lay eggs in the substrate or the moss in the NE corner of the tank (that I’m assuming is like a humid hide)? If it is for humidity make sure to keep it moist since the light will dry it up quickly. A scale doesn’t necessarily need to be grams, it does need to be very accurate though (~1/2 g). Since grams is the typically used measurement for reptiles it’d be best to convert it. If you don’t want to keep converting to grams you could get a gram scale. A hygrometer is the most important as that’s most likely the problem. I recommend a digital hygrometer/thermometer combo since they’re the most accurate and some are cheaper (the cheaper ones usually aren’t as accurate but if you get multiple and use multiple and cross-check them with each other they still work).

1 Like

She laid the eggs every time on the moist side but in the hide. And I’ll look into the scale and correct temperature stuff I need. And even if this clutch doesn’t work out maybe hopefully the next will. :slight_smile: thanks I might post more questions later on if I come up with any lol so since you answered if you could please check up tomorrow or something if nobody else answered my questions.

1 Like

It might also be good to add a humid hide to the tank for them to shed and for her to lay her eggs. Most AFT questions go unanswered since they’re uncommon reptiles. I just think about what I’d do and suggest if they were leopard geckos which are very close to AFTs and I have experience with. I’ll answer questions if I have an answer as soon as I see them.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Help with tree frogs

Okay again switching topics back to my African fat tailed geckos sorry in advance for the back and forth, but she laid these new pearly white eggs this morning and it took 13 days for her to have new eggs to lay which is weird because last time it took her almost 30 to lay these eggs. Also I added more moisture to the moisture hide and she then started digging and laid the eggs in the morning, but one of the eggs is questionable it’s just as white but it has a half circle inside. Idk if that means it’s fertile all the way or if it’s not.

1 Like

Sorry I meant it took her almost 30 days to lay the last clutch which is not doing so good at all :frowning:

This topic was made for the questions you had posted on the other topic about your frogs.

Okay sorry I’m so confused about how this site works. I didn’t know it would be a big deal because the person I was asking seemed knowledgeable and I thought I’d squeeze my quick question about frogs in.

They look like they could hatch but I’m not positive. 13 days doesn’t seem like very long but it should be okay. Just keep incubating the eggs until you’re positive that they’ll go bad.

1 Like

Okay thank you. It might be confusing but I meant that she laid these new eggs 13 days after laying her last clutch, I know it sounds confusing but I keep track of it because I think it’s important.

1 Like

Okay I wanted to update you on how my egg are doing. I’m feeling positive and hopeful but that’s also just how I am XD I’ll show you the pics now.
Again these eggs are 5 days old:)

1 Like

They still look okay. When you pick up the vermiculite does it clump in your hand? If not you should add more water by spraying with a mister around the eggs or removing the eggs and spraying it. The eggs look a little dehydrated.

1 Like

Okay thank you I’ll do that really quickly I just heard that African fat tailed gecko eggs are more sensitive to water so I hadn’t kept them that wet to avoid losing my eggs again :frowning:

1 Like

I did some reading and the ideal ratio is 6:4 vermiculite:water. With most live animals the best way to determine how they are doing is to observe them. If a gecko’s tail is getting thin you feed them more. If gecko eggs are dimpling, increase the humidity. However some eggs are sensitive so making small changes at a time is best. If you make too drastic of changes then it could cause negative effects.

1 Like

Alrighty. But you gotta admit these eggs look better inside and out then the other ones did, I’ve been keeping track of dates she lays them and taking pics inside and out. Also I’ve been observing my geckos I think after her next clutch which she should be having soon I’ll separate them because she is mean to my male and sits on top of him which is a dominance thing, or at least that’s what I’ve heard, plus she is fatter than him he’s skinnier, than again are females just fatter? XD

1 Like

These ones look much better. Hopefully they hatch well. :crossed_fingers: Females and males should be the same but if the female is developing eggs then she would likely be fatter from the eggs. Also if you only have one food source the male might not have a chance to eat. Make sure that he is also eating.

1 Like

I’ve been watching him eating the crickets I dusted in calcium but my female is much quicker with catching them, also after feeding my female calcium in the crickets I think that’s what may have made the eggs better honestly I always forget the calcium but not anymore for sure, also I’ve heard after breeding season we should worm our geckos or something for mites etc at the vet. Is this true or no?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that being necessary. Unnecessary antibiotics can cause more harm than good, especially since you don’t have a reason to suspect them. If you’re worried about parasites then you can get a fecal done. If you’re worried about mites then you can check for them and give them a bath with water and a drop of dawn soap. If there are “pepper-like” spots in the water after this then there could be mites. However there is no reason to do this unless you have a reason to suspect it (like if one’s wild caught or you’re feeding them wild caught food).

1 Like

Okay, I mainly asked because I was just cleaning the crickets cage and saw these tiny little bugs crawling around but maybe that’s just a normal thing with crickets idk :woman_shrugging:. My friend from petco says they’re normal but lol idk

1 Like