African Fat Tailed Gecko Traits - Category upgrade! [DONE] [1577]

Stripe is dominant, and a gecko can either carry one copy of the stripe gene, or two copies of the stripe gene. Both heterozygous and homozygous stripe look the same.

3 Likes

Just wanted to chime in and say that we agree Stinger and Zero are not recessive. We have bred Zero x Zero and Stinger x Stinger, as well as Zero x Normal and Stinger x Normal in multiple lines for several years, and proven that they are definitely not recessive genes. At this time, best guess is that they are markers for the Patternless gene, and some Patternless will produce Zeros/Stingers and some will not.

3 Likes

Hey there!
Zero and Stinger are a very sensitive topic. The general understanding by now is, that both are just a Striped & “Banded” variant of another phenotypical look for HET Patties. This simply explains the “SuperZero or SuperStinger”-Look, which is absolutely identical with regular Patties!

With Amel I would differentiate between normal Amel & Ghana-Line. While the Ghana Line is compatible and appearently causes no issues, visual, normal female Amel have similar egg-laying and fertility issues as Caramel. All the female Amels my friends had laid unfertile eggs, if they even laid, and I could observe issues in my HET Amel female as well.

Zulu is nearly always accompanied by translucent belly scales (some Het. Zulus also have them) And pied markings on their feet!

There is no such thing as “SuperStripe”

While Abberant can be line-bred for, it often randomly appears in WhiteOut hatchlings and can even appear randomly out of any pairing, even though it is rare :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know very late.
But anyone able to explain the (2 copy) to me?

Amel stripe to amel stripe

Babies would be-
Amel
Amel stripe
Amel stripe (2 copy)

So what does that mean exactly?
Thankyou to anyone who replies! :blush:

2 Likes

You probably already know this but I’m going to start from the basics and hopefully a lot of people can learn from it. Each allele has two copies of a gene. If they’re the same it’s called homozygous, if they’re different they’re called heterozygous. When breeding the animal will pass on only one of the alleles per offspring. So if it’s an amel, there is a 100% chance it would be passed on each time because both alleles have the gene. If the other animal also has amel there is a 100% chance it would be passed on each time because both parents are passing on the trait. You can use a punnett square to see the possibilities that would result from each parent passing on the trait. For stripe each parent would have a 50% chance of passing on the trait to each offspring. A punnet square would look like this. A capital S represents a stripe allele being passed on. A lowercase s represents a non-stripe allele being passed on.
. . . S |s
S| SS| Ss
s| Ss| ss
(The dots represent spaces because otherwise it won’t line up.)
These represent probabilities so there can be variation and it likely won’t follow the exact chances.
Looking at this 25% of the offspring will be homozygous stripe. 50% of the offspring will be heterozygous Stripe. And 25% won’t have stripe. The homozygous stripe is referred to as stripe (2 copy) the stripe will be referred to as stripe. And the homozygous normal won’t have stripe at all.

4 Likes

That’s brilliant Thankyou,
I’m pairing them next month as she gets here Thursday, so when I saw the (2 copy) online, I was baffled, thinking when I rehome babies what do I say? Do they look the same?
But that’s helped understand it all.
Fat tails are new to me (breeding them that is, had my male for a few years now)
Hopefully this helps others also! :blush:

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Stinger x Striped Oreo het Zulu