An really sad update…

Was the animal tested for crypto?

5 Likes

I think the vet did every blood test possible according to Riley but I could very well be mistaken……

4 Likes

Crypto is not tested for via blood sample, it is usually tested via fecal sample, cloacal swab, gastric lavage, or gastric biopsy.

5 Likes

Yes it was tested for…sorry should have added that. It was one of the first things I test for upon receiving animal, even without issues. It was done fecal sample.

7 Likes

I stand corrected

5 Likes

I’m so sorry honey. I hope you’re feeling better and know that it’ll all be okay. We’re here for you.

5 Likes

I’m really sorry that this happened, and furthermore that the people around you don’t understand why you’re having a hard time. Losing a beloved pet is always hard, no matter what species it is. I hope you’re able to start healing and feeling better.

5 Likes

That snake is too large for failure to thrive. Get a new vet that’s more versed in exotics. I received a male hog that refused for 2 or 3 weeks and he was 2/3rd that size. I moved him into a shoebox tote enclosure and bumped up his temps 3-4 degrees and within a few days, he ate and never skipped again and then I moved him up to a larger enclosure after about a month or two of consistent feeding. Sorry for your loss though, it’s always something I’m paranoid about with the hognoses.

3 Likes

Yep I always keep mine in a shoe box size, 6 qt, for the longest time (got a little flack here for suggesting this to someone else actually) :joy: but my goal was to establish consistent eating. The hogI have now is still in a 12 qt I think? and he eats every time. But he still has plenty of room to stretch out……

However there could have been something completely undetectable in Riley’s girl….

2 Likes

That is not true though. There could have been a deformation of one of her organs, an issue with the brain causing the bodily processes not to function efficiently, etc.

But either way, this really isn’t the place for this. Someone lost a pet who they loved and saying something is correct or not isn’t very respectful of that in my opinion.

5 Likes