Appears seller has sent me a different snake from advertised photo

This is not the entire ad, you are missing the top section that would contain the information I am asking for.

You are showing the areas I have outlined in red and excluding the area I have outlined in green, which is where the information I am asking about can be found (green arrows)

These are both single gene Bananas. And while I agree they are not the same animal, the differences you are pointing out are the result of a high quality photo taken with a good setup in a light tent versus a quick and dirty phone photo

2 Likes

Apologies! Here’s that part:

I agree that it is a different snake. However if it’s the same genetics and sex why does it matter? It does look younger than the photo but all bananas develop spots when they age (if that’s what you’re worried about). If it were me I wouldn’t ship the snake back and add to the stress.

2 Likes

It matters to a lot of people. I’ve not done a purchase before when the breeder wouldn’t send me photos of the specific animals and allow me to choose the one I wanted. “They’re all the same genetics, it doesn’t matter,” they said. Nah, there’s more to an animal than the single-gene expressions imo.

7 Likes

I agree but I think it depends on the scenario. If this were an adult GHI (or any variable morph) I would agree since an adult could easily handle the stress of shipping twice and there might be something specific someone liked about the snake. If the reason this snake was selected was color or pattern (which I don’t notice being much different) then it could be worth it to get a refund/replacement.
I think it is a likely possibility that the pictures were mixed because the picture showed a snake a lot older than the birthday and I think it’s a good possibility that there’s another morph at play. It might be worth asking the seller if it’s a possibility that it was the wrong picture (in the MM ad, the ones on social media are the same snake).

2 Likes

Ive been looking at all the new ball pythons on here every day for weeks, trying to find the one I wanted. I wasnt just specifically looking for a banana morph - Just a ball python that I really liked. It matters because I feel deceived on a 25+ year investment.

2 Likes

I want to start by saying that I completely see where you’re coming from and I think you have a valid point. But also keep in mind that bananas change in color and pattern a lot over time (notably they gain spots and are less purple), so how well you like the colors and patterns might change. You could look at different ages on the marketplace to see what you can expect with age (assuming you get another banana or keep this one).

2 Likes

Ive already looked through their entire social media, and the photo they used as the advertisement was nowhere on there. Presumably they wouldn’t want to post a permanent photo on their instagram when that photo didnt belong to them. And If they did actually breed the snake that was advertised, youd think they’d want to show off a snake that good looking.

All of their social media photos were taken with a phone camera. They probably just didn’t have a high quality camera to take their own photos for selling on MorphMarket . The other snakes they have available on this site all have different backgrounds, too, and look to me to have been taken by separate people.

Regardless, Im now 100% sure that they sold me the incorrect snake. And that they are trying to play it off.

If the snake I received was the one advertised, I wouldnt have purchased it. I was taking a lot of time to choose the right snake for me.

Still, I live across the country from the breeder, and I dont want to stress/endanger a baby snake out more by sending it back across the country only a week later. Ive decided to just keep it. I just wish the breeder was honest with me. This has been stressful.

Thank you everyone who offered me their advice & opinions. I really appreciate all of you.

7 Likes

Yes thank you! I did do my research on banana morphs before purchasing- and how they dull over time. It was just i felt drawn to that specific snake that was advertised (above all other new ball pythons on the site).

2 Likes

If I was to purchase a snake it would be a major problem with me if I received the wrong snake. Irregardless if it was the same gender and genetics.

9 Likes

I take it as this, if I was to purchase Willow and Willow would come yet look completely different than her photo it would make me question the seller.

2 Likes

I’m starting to understand why that’s such a big deal. I agree now that it’s important but I’ll leave my previous comment for the point of discussion. A lot of it does have to do with sellers integrity but as a pet it is important that the snake is exactly what you want and is right.

1 Like

I’m even saying breeding for quality of morphs. Spacifically I would like for my Sterlings to pass on eventually higher and higher black present on the tail. This is one of the reasons I actually purchased Willow instead of another anery sterling.

5 Likes

If I picked out a snake specifically for the looks and quality of the morph(s) present, then I would definitely be concerned if the breeder sent me a snake that didn’t look like the one on the listing.

Especially as a breeder, since some do focus more and are more considerate about the quality of the morphs they’re using in their projects!

8 Likes

I fully understand what you are saying Riley. There are definitely cases when the exact appearance of the animal is moot so long as the animal meets all the requirements. As an example, a while back there was an IG post from a show where a guy had some rubber boas on the table. I had a friend at that show and messaged him immediately with the name of the vendor and the specific instructions of - “Please go to this table ASAFP, ask the price and gender and if he has a female and it is less than $xxx then buy it and I will PayPal you the funds.” I wanted the animal and I did not much care about the appearance (so long as it was healthy).

Flip side. Many moons ago, when I was first starting my Albino project, I asked a seller for individual pics of the clutch he had up for sale. The seller gave me a flip reply that all Albinos look the same and it was not worth his time to send me individual pics. I replied back that there were specific traits I wanted to have in my project and, for $850, it was certainly worth his time to take those pics for me. Needless to say, I ended up buying elsewhere.

11 Likes

Different animal fore sure, but I like the one you got better. I think some of the issue with color is the sellers is obviously over edited. I almost always pass on those ads. It feels deceptive to me.

4 Likes

In the photo the seller provided there is way more freckles so I think they are 100% different snakes

2 Likes