Are Ball Pythons Semi-Arboreal? (Video)

He says it twice in the first 5 seconds of the video haha.

1 Like

The video is a bit exaggerated, as has already been pointed out. But I think the ultimate point is that ball pythons are observed climbing often enough in the wild to warrant another look at the common mantra of ā€œball pythons canā€™t/donā€™t climb,ā€ which I would tend to agree with - especially when we know that climbing does increase and retain muscle tone in this species. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with advancing husbandry as we learn new things about our animals. Passing ball pythons off as purely terrestrial or incapable of utilizing climbing opportunities is a disservice to the behavior they do display in the wild, and I think thatā€™s a fair point, even if the video doesnā€™t explain that the best.

4 Likes

I guess I do come off as dismissing it, but only because in my mind itā€™s pretty simple if my choices are starve or climb up that tree and raid a birds nest Iā€™ll go for option B.

You need to keep in mind as well the intent behind the video and the claim is to establish that anyone who keeps their BPs in a terrestrial setting is ā€œdeprivingā€ them of natural behavior and no one should keep them that way, and thatā€™s not supported by fact.

Iā€™m all for giving them a great life.

I think there are better enrichment options we can go for in captivity.

1 Like

I hope you do too, you brought much knowledge and passion to the forum and hobby.

2 Likes

I agree with the opportunistic behaviors. I just so badly want to see a GTP bred with a BP. Imagine a Mojave GTP or an Albino Aru GTP white yellow and blue colors. Probably my dream animal to see.

Also with the tub racks I donā€™t see any abuse to it. There completely in the dark being fed weekly. That seems like the perfect life. But Iā€™m all for enrichment also.

1 Like

If anything, I think the facts presented in the video speak for how well ball pythons can adapt to different environments. Thereā€™s a reason they made it into the pet trade and eventually became popular, because in spite of occasional feeding issues, theyā€™re a fairly hardy snake. Thanks to Craigslist and some badly run pet stores, Iā€™ve seen ball pythons survive conditions that could kill many other species.

Itā€™s wonderful that they have so many diverse behaviors and diets in the wild, but I think itā€™s a leap to say that just because some ball pythons from one area were found in trees everyone now has to give their ball pythons a perch or else youā€™re a bad person who doesnā€™t care about your animalā€™s health and wellbeing. And thatā€™s not even to mention the leap to semi-arboreal the video makes in spite of obvious morphological differences between ball pythons and species that are actually semi-arboreal.

The bottom line: Itā€™s fine to love your snakes and want the best for them, but itā€™s not okay to trash people who keep them differently. If carried too far, it gets to be a witch hunt. Iā€™m not about that noise.

9 Likes

I think the animal rights activist go a little too far myself. Next thing you know they will have us keep our cows in the house and make all Americans become vegetarians.

(No, there is nothing wrong with keeping a cow in the house or being a vegetarian, If that is what you want go for itā€¦ )

But Iā€™m not going to do it.

3 Likes

:100: agree I have had many spirited debates with Dr Wyman and whether you agree or disagree with him he is always honest intellectually. He reads all evidence provided and known and makes an intelligent statement based on that. Just because someone doesnā€™t agree doesnā€™t mean Travis is attacking anyone or dismissing anyoneā€™s opinion. To compare what he said to a virus is totally unfair and just mean in my opinion. He has swayed my opinion on a few things we as keepers should always be trying to improve the care our animals receive. We should always at least listen to opposing views when they are presented in an intelligent manner.

9 Likes

I can agree there.
If there is anyone on this forum that is completely unbiased and fair to how he responds to each member, itā€™s Dr. Wyman.
Wether you agree with him or not is besides the point, he treats each person on here with honesty and respect in my opinion, and we havenā€™t always agreed either.

7 Likes

Iā€™m definitely no expert on genetics expression, but I would think Albinism would not allow the blue color on the GTP to be displayed. Not trying to crush your dreams, but I believe itā€™s not possible.

3 Likes

I provide 5 out my 6 BPs a nice terrarium with climbing opportunities. Over the months, Iā€™ve noticed only my females take advantage of the entire enclosure while the one male I have stays in his hide almost 24/7 except when he goes out for water. Yet most research Iā€™ve seen shows the opposite is suppose to be true. I am thinking of swapping the one female I have in a tub enclosure with my male because she also likes to explore her tub, but it is to small for me to fit branches in there.

1 Like

@thecrawdfather, @saleengrinch, @mnroyals,

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the kind words

Also, you all need to quit calling me ā€œDr.ā€ on here all the time. Seriously LOL. I get that it is a sign of respect, and I do appreciate that as well, but for the unholy love of Cthulhu!! I have never really hung to the protocol of it to begin with (in twelve years exactly two of my coworkers have called me ā€œDr.ā€) and this place is supposed to be a casual hang out. Think of it like we are all hanging out at a party drinking beer. If you call me ā€œDr.ā€ in that setting I am going to want to pour my beer over your head. We are all friends here, please, just call me ā€œTravisā€. If there ever comes a time where I actually have to roll up my sleeves and slam my doctorate against a desk to get someone to listen I am sure we will all understand what drives me to that point.

And speaking ofā€¦

10 Likes

Let me seeā€¦ This is the second part of your comment, yes?

I would kindly ask you to show me where, exactly, I dismissed this out of hand.

I took a look at the source material. Not only that, but I went deep. Deeper than just his source. I read papers on studies of the biophysiology of snakes. I read papers on studies of the biomechanics of snake movement. I read papers on studies of the the range and habitat types of ball pythons. I read the other papers out there that looked at feeding and behavioural studies of ball pythons.

And after all that research, what did I do?

Did I say that ball pythons never climb?

Did I say that it is stupid to give ball pythons a branch or some other object to climb on?

Did I say that everything you said was pointless and stupid?

No. No. Andā€¦ No.

What I said was that just because sources were cited does not change the fact that the information presented in that video was being blatantly misrepresented to make an untrue claim that ball pythons are a semi-arboreal species.

Very literally, nothing about what I said was dismissing it out of hand because it was hard to hear.

If you want to see someone that acted along the lines of a sufferer of the social media virus, as you call it, then perhaps look in a mirror.

What did you do?

You did not go deeper.

You ignored what I had to say because it was hard for you to hear a reasoned explanation of why the act of citing sources does not guarantee credibility.

You took the time to make a post telling everyone how much you dislike this group and so you are going to leave because you felt it was terribly important we all knew you were leaving.

And then you stormed off with one last parting insult
I am sorry, but if that is not the most basic form of Facebook tantrum then I am not sure what is.

And yes, I openly admit that right now I am being straight up blunt and perhaps even a little disrespectful about the matter. But when you make a personal attack at me, I am not going to just sit there and take it.

13 Likes

@mnroyals is correct, it is the interaction with melanin and guanadine crystals in the iridophores that give you the blue colour. So if you strip the melanin, you lose the blue

8 Likes

I only say this when Iā€™m trying to be super serious! But if you want to take this from me fineā€¦ Travis

In all seriousness I only say this because a doctrine is no small feat for anyone to obtain. So I do use it as a term of respect. But I will refrain from saying it. Just note unless otherwise noted I have nothing but the upmost respect for you Travis.

6 Likes

As I said, I fully understand and greatly appreciate that.

I guess, for me, it is just that I have seen/been around too many MDs and PhDs that use their title as a tool for either arrogantly setting themselves above or bullying others (and on a broader scale, the antagonism toward the ā€œelitist scientistā€ is a real thing.) So when I see/hear people calling me ā€œDr.ā€ I worry that newer folks in the hobby and people who do not know me well will place me in the same arena as the arrogant bullies.

To put it another wayā€¦ Is it fair to say I am ā€œbetterā€ than my friend Mark because of my understanding of science? In a certain light, sure. But under that same light it is equally as fair to say Mark is ā€œbetterā€ than me because he can remove and repair the engine of a car. We all have our strengths that we play to. We all have our weaknesses that we should recognize and own. But Mark does not have a title I can call him in recognition of how he is ā€œbetterā€ than me, so I would be more than a bit of an ass were I to insist that Mark call me ā€œDr. Wymanā€ all the time in recognition of how I am ā€œbetterā€ than him

It is a weird hangup I have, but it is there nonetheless.

The feeling is mutual, sir

9 Likes

Getting to know someone through video documentation is one thing. But getting to converse with @t_h_wyman (over the forum) itā€™s completely different. There are usually multiple times in different topics a person comments on or at least likes. @speakeasy_serpents was wrong in calling @t_h_wyman a virus, especially in our worldā€™s current predicament. A virus is a non life envelope of proteins that contains genetic information that canā€™t even replicate itself. It is insulting especially because it is apparent that he can process his own thoughts. I believe as a form, and a community of reptile lovers in a world that is dismissive or even hateful against reptiles, we need to stay strong. We have enough people possibly tearing us down on the outside but inside our community should be a strong place to stand as a reptile enthusiast and make friends that are also.
I just wanted to say lastly that Iā€™m thankful for people like @saleengrinch @t_h_wyman, and @mnroyals because it is shown through multiple responses, comments, and topics that you guys are truly trying to make the community a better place for people to gather and find strength in community.

9 Likes

Post closed for staff discussion.

Post reopened after staff discussion.