Are Stimson's, Children's, and/or Spotted Pythons semi-arboreal?

Nope, wouldn’t swear to it. It was several years back, when we watched animal shows with the kids. I wouldn’t be surprised if the narrator got it wrong or I misremembered. But, the memory in my head, which is always questionable with my advancing senility, looks like a children’s. :crazy_face:

Oenpelli look a lot like a children’s (except for being significantly longer)

1 Like

Cool. That does look remarkably like a children’s. The question here is did the show get it right and am I remembering right. We all know how amazingly accurate some of those “informative” shows can be, and how good our memories are. :roll_eyes: It was a neat bit though, watching the snake hang down into the flight path of the bats exiting the cave and grabbing and wrapping one that made contact in the mad rush. Why it stuck in my head…

1 Like

I would guess your memory might be in err here. I know oenpelli have been documented eating bats on numerous occasions. It was accounting for that behaviour that helped the MPR crew find one in the wild.

2 Likes

Probably right. I went down the Google rabbit Warren abit today. I didn’t find the clip. But there was a lot of pictures and clips of carpets eating bats, and some of spotted pythons. I didn’t find anything with children’s. So, I’m perfectly willing to concede, my bad memory. :man_shrugging:

But cool clips nonetheless, it’s a neat behavior. And note that it’s repeated on several continents by several different species, so it must be a good survival strategy, there are even insects that do it. Fascinating. :face_with_monocle:

Childrens pythons have been known to consume bats. They will hang from the roofs of small caves and catch them. This is recorded in detail in a book Titled , I believe, snakes of Australia.

1 Like