It sounds like it could be from poisons like from bug/rodent treatments and/or spraying. It could also be from misuse of a mite treatment product. Separate them immediately from your other reptiles and wash your hands/equipment extremely well after coming in contact with them. It could also be seizures, keep them in a darker area with little to no contact/traffic/noise/disturbances.
Their on paper towels but previously they were on cypress I treated them for mites over a week ago
What product did you treat them with? You likely misused the product and accidently poisoned them. Also walk us through how you treated them. Did you empty their dishes, where did you apply the treatment to, etc.
I used Lugarti natural reptile mite spray, bed bug spray (recommended by a breeder) then bathed them in coconut oil. I emptied there water dishes and washed everything in their tubs with dawn soap
It could also be from arenavirus/ibd. Did you use both the Lugarti and the bed bug spray? I checked the Lugarti one and it sounds safe. However the bed bug spray would be where I worry. If you used bed bug spray do you have the product name?
Yeah I used both products the name was Ortho
Ortho is not safe to be used on pets(found this info via the Ortho website). If you used the product ON the snakes, then you have the answer to your problem and they need to be seen by a vet asap
how are the snakes acting today?
If they were exposed to the fumes for an extended period, then that could also be the cause for seizures. Baby snakes are more susceptible to fumes and things of the sort. Either way, a vet trip is the safest bet and the best thing for the animals.
What did you use to treat them for mites? Also I agree if they are regurgitating meals you have to give them time in between feedings. Honestly at this point the vet is probably your best bet. I missed your post about the spray. I have not heard of this one before but I’m pretty sure it’s what caused your issue. Did the snakes have mites when you received them? Next time if you notice mites I would send the snakes back immediately not worth the safety of your collection to bring in unhealthy snakes imo.
That jumped out to me as well. The snakes came with mites yikes!!
Contact the breeder (if you didn’t already) and tell them about the mites and how the snakes are affected. Also contact the breeder that recommended the spray and tell them that the spray is killing the snakes. The Ortho is a poison that is causing neurological problems with your snakes. If you haven’t yet, take them to a herp vet immediately (find a vet here).
The active ingredients in the product are Bifenthrin: 0.25%, Imidacloprid: 0.050%, and Piperonyl Butoxide: 0.45%. Bifenthrin is used by influencing the nervous system and there are claims of it having killed wild snakes, it is one of the most toxic chemicals. Imidacloprid is a neurotoxin and also acts on the nervous system. It interferes with the transmission of stimuli in the insect nervous system (which seems to be happening with your snakes), it’s not as toxic as Bifenthrin but it is still dangerous. Piperonyl butoxide enhances the potency of the above poisons and turns them from a dangerous poison to a lethal toxin.
Even if your snakes survive this they should never be bred as the poisons would have severely harmed them and they would likely produce offspring that have problems.
*Edited for spelling and clarity.
I’ve never used ortho, but I’m baffled that a breeder would recommend something so dangerous.
Are they any better and have they seen a vet yet?
How are you other snakes?
I didn’t use the product on the snakes I used it on the bin and let it dry before putting the snakes back on their tubs. The breeder I bought them from told me to use bed bug spray to treat mites but they didn’t say what kid or that any weren’t safe.
Did the tubs have
- Good ventilation to dry
- Water emptied out and the dish not directly treated
- Substrate completely dried all the way through or emptied before treatment
- New water
- Odor free when the snakes were added back
I still think the breeder should have been clearer. How are they doing?
Ok their still acting the same way the female might be worse actually. I threw all the substrate away and put them on paper towels and emptied the water out and gave them new water. All of the other snakes in the rack are acting normal. And yeah I made sure all the bins were dry and wiped them down with paper towels to make sure.
I’m gonna take them to a vet today
good! please keep us updated on how it goes.
Hope they are okay
Mites could carry IBD I would definitely get them away from your other snakes ASAP just in case as it is very contagious and always lethal.