Baby ball python problem

Using two different types of mite treatment at the same time is very dangerous. A chemical reaction could occur between the two treatments.

6 Likes

This is likely pyrethrin poisoning from the bed bug spray. At least one of the Ortho products for bed bugs uses a pyrethrin or pyrethrin analog. You need to remove the animals from the enclosure you treated with the Ortho spray and decontaminate them by thoroughly washing them (use a mild detergent like Dawn in the water you bathe them in). You must also clean the enclosures completely using a detergent and thoroughly rinsing. Once you have decontaminated the animals take them to a veterinarian who specializes in exotics (bring the spray can in a sealed zip lock bag). Although there isn’t a specific antidote to pyrethrin poisoning, the vet can administer fluids to help them through their system and may need to medicate them depending upon their neuro status.

It doesn’t mater that the enclosures were dry - the residue from the spray persists and off-gasses. This is why it took some time for the drastic symptoms to appear.

5 Likes

Ok I was gonna take them to the vet today, but it was all booked so I have an appointment tomorrow morning at nine. I’ll disinfect it once I’m home later.

If you tell them that it’s an emergency you might be able to get in sooner instead of waiting on all of the people who just need a check up and nothing serious.

3 Likes

There is a vitamin supplement you can buy which is a probiotic to help with digestion.

Vitamin supplements are a completely different thing from probiotics.

1 Like

Good luck at the vet today :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Ok well there at the vet right now and the vet just called me. So they said that they likely got poisoned from the bed bug spray but it could also be a million other wrong things. They said they’d give them fluids and told me to bathe them daily with Dawn. Basically if the behavior continues they said it may be IBD at least for the female which is worse off than the male.

3 Likes

hope they will be okay

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear you finally got them to a vet, and I would continue to make sure they’re separated from the rest of your other snakes.

4 Likes

:crossed_fingers: hope they are okay :crossed_fingers:
Just keep up what the vet has suggested, have you got a follow up appt?

1 Like

They said bring them back if the behavior keeps up, then they’d test them for IBD. If not they should be fine or thats what they said

You should get the IBD test done right away to be safe imo. If it is then it could have already spread to the rest of your snakes. Waiting on something as serious as an IBD test isn’t ideal.

3 Likes

When i woke up the female was laying on her back and she can’t move. I gave her a warm bath to warm her up as much as I can. The vet said let it run its course but I’m really worried she won’t make it. The males behavior hasn’t worsened or gotten better.

1 Like

I’m not sure there is anything you can do for her now, however I think you need to get the male checked for Ibd. I would’ve suggested to get the female too but I think it will do her more harm than good ATM

3 Likes

I would not have the male tested for IBD at this time. Diagnosis of IBD requires tissue biopsies of multiple tissues in the animal, hence requiring surgery. At this point, putting your male through that would likely be stressful enough to result in his death. The female’s condition, as you have described suggests you may need to start considering humane euthanasia provided by your vet. Once the animal has been euthanized you can opt to have it necropsied, where tissue samples can be taken to identify whether or not IBD is present in the animal.

As a number of others have indicated in prior posts, you should isolate both affected animals from the rest of your collection.

3 Likes

Most of the tests take blood samples or cotton swabs. It shouldn’t be a dangerous level of stress.

And none of those will be conclusive for an IBD diagnosis.

None of them are extremely accurate but the blood sample is very accurate and a cotton swab is usually accurate.

There is a lot to consider, the vet could clarify these a bit more for you.

Any improvement? On either? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like