Baby BP stopped eating

I have a baby BP that has stopped eating. Any tips or suggestions?

Can you add some information about how you’re keeping it? Information like temperature, enclosure, feeding schedule, and age help. Pictures of the enclosure and snake are very helpful.
This is a very useful and informative thread that might help:

1 Like

Yes, he’s housed in an ARS 1065 rack with other babies. Warm spot is 89°F humidity is 65-70% in the room but I must them down when I feel is needed. I’m fairly new to breeding, and this is my first incident with a troubled eater. He has missed 2 meals so I’m trying to catch it early. He is 102 grams. I put a hide in there with him a couple days ago to see if maybe it would help. Have not tried feeding since placing the hide.

Also my feeding schedule is once a week. Usually Fridays sometimes Saturdays.

I would recommend putting him in something smaller. A 6 qt tub would work good. You might not need to do that if you give him multiple hides and other cover so he feels secure. What size food are you offering?

1 Like

One possible idea… has he shed recently? If not, he may just be getting confused on hunger cues because of the shedding process. I had a baby skip 2 meals because of it.

Otherwise erie’s idea of an addition hide or something smaller may help. I know 1065s aren’t very wide but they are a bit long. Also if he was eating live and you’re trying a f/t switch, I’ve seen a couple waffle back and forth on it before sticking to the f/t

2 Likes

On top of the recommendations others have given, I have heard many have better success with hatchlings at lower temps. Try the hotspot at 85-86°F. I have even heard some go as low as 80°F. That is still plenty warm enough for them to digest, but doesn’t run their body as hot. If you don’t want to switch tubs you could also put fake plants in to add more cover.

2 Likes

Environment change - substrate: if you’re using paper change to coco. If you’re using coco switch to paper. Environmental change can reinitiate feeding response. Adding appropriate sized hides falls into this category as well.

Try different prey items. I have a picky hatchling that refused mice and rats, just before moving to assist feeding I successfully fed a very small ASF. That hatchling will only take very small ASF as of right now.

Don’t offer to often. The more the routine of refusal becomes prevalent the harder it is to break. I wouldn’t offer anymore than once per week.

Minimize stress. Handle and open the tub only when absolutely necessary.

7 Likes