Bad news and a little good news

Butterfly had her babies on April 10.
There were 13 of them, but 6 were DOA.
6 were alive, but most did not look good. And 5 slugs. I thought she was done giving birth, so I cleaned her and her cage up. Put her back in her cage with fresh water. Check on her an hour later, and there was one more fully developed albino jungle drowned in her water bowl.

Over the past few weeks, most of the babies have passed away. Only 2 are still alive. They look to be in good shape for now. We’ll see in the next few weeks how they do.

Butterfly also now has an RI problem. I’ve been giving her meds, but she still will not eat. If she doesn’t eat next weekend, I’ll have to force feed her.
If she lives, I will retire her to be just a family pet now.

My 2016 sunglow female also passed away. She showed no signs of being sick. She regurgitated a rat, and the next week, she was dead.

I had my veterinarian friend do a neckeropsi on her. Her liver and kidney were severely infected. So she had been sick for some time. I didn’t think to take pictures of the neckeropsi wish I did. It was interesting to see but very sad at the same time. I buried her in the backyard.

Anyway, here are some pictures of Butterflys babies.

Take care
Tom

4 Likes

I am so sorry you’ve been through it this week, the poor things, Theres nothing you could’ve done to prevent this,
I hope the others make it through for you :black_heart:
Please keep us updated on them.

4 Likes

Sorry for the rough bit. Good luck with butterfly, I hope she eats on her own the next offering.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your losses, and about Butterfly’s health problems. Do you think she was fighting some sort of infection while pregnant, and that that could have contributed to the stillborn and sickly babies? I hope she and the surviving little ones pull through. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Ah man. Breeding can have its ups and downs.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the losses. Hopefully Butterfly and her survivors pull through for you. The ones you got look great. Specifically that one with the really wild patterning.

2 Likes

Update the two babies are still doing good for me. The sunglow motley jungle shed but the albino motley jungle has not shed yet.

11 Likes

Didn’t want to stress them out to much but I sure the sunglow motley jungle is a female and the albino motley jungle is a male.

4 Likes

I am happy to hear that they both are holding on strong! Can’t wait for more updates on these two.

3 Likes

Dang, sorry to see that Tom. Crossing fingers the two survivors are still doing well for you.

3 Likes

Both are do good still. The female is the only one that has eaten for me so far. She has eaten two fuzzy mice. Going to try an African soft fur rat for the stubborn one soon. Bad new is mom passed away.

9 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that the mom didn’t make it. :frowning:

That baby is absolutely gorgeous though! Is that the male or the female? I hope you’re able to get the male eating!

3 Likes

That is a female Motley Junglow! She is breathtaking, for real. I still remember when @tommccarthy posted the male and female from a season or two ago. They just keep on getting better with age and size!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you’ve had such a rough go. Breeding can really break your heart. I hope that the survivors become really good thrivers.

5 Likes

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that she dident make it, thats rough. Hold in there brother, your definitely one of the good ones!

4 Likes

She has eaten 5 time for me now. Not worried about her at all any more. She is going to be a killer looking adult.

11 Likes

Yay! I am so happy to see that she is doing so well! She is getting better with age!

4 Likes

Hooray for your girl’s great progress !! She’s so lovely, and I especially love the overhead shot of her on the (I think) bromeliad. Congrats!

3 Likes

Great to see your boa doing well Tom. Can’t wait to see progress pictures

3 Likes

I am happy that Sherbet has done so well down her in Florida. How has her brother doing?

2 Likes